ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firewalls - please, i can't be bothered.

<< < (13/17) > >>

nudone:
It really will depend on what you are trying to do on your machine but Sygate really didn't work well with what i was doing - and i wasn't doing anything particularly weird. similar problems were encountered on other peoples machines i know of.

but, i'm sure it's a very good firewall for a vast number of people.

4wd:
Hi nudone, if all you want is a simple firewall, (or just a program), for outgoing program access control, see if you can find the latest version of Primedius Firewall Lite, 1.6 here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Primedius_Firewall_Lite_d4146.html

It's small, you can start or stop it at any time, seems very low impact.  The interface is a little outdated but it seems to work fine.

I used to use it with Ghostwall, (gave me more control over incoming connections).  They had no problem co-existing together.  However, it does basic inbound filtering so you don't need to install anything else, just use XP's or rely on your router's NAT/firewall.

The only thing that annoyed me about it was the fact that if you updated a program, after asking for access permission, it would add it to the program list leaving the old program version in the list - so every so often you'd need to go through the list and clean out the old entries.

Now-a-days, I use Comodo on my main machine and laptop, (gives more control), and nothing on a download-only machine, (it relies on NAT and the router's hardware firewall - it runs 2 programs and doesn't execute anything it's downloaded so it's fairly safe - runs AVG as a basic precaution).

nudone:
thanks, 4wd, i'll try Primedius sometime this week, but it sounds like it might not exactly fit what i want to do - it sounds like it would be okay for my own personal use but not something i could recommend to 'firewall novices' (because of the cleaning the list out problem that you mentioned).

jdmarch:
Under Win2K: Comodo Firewall Pro (with NOD32), clean, resource-light, all well.

Darwin:
Anyone else finding that the latest build of ZoneAlarm Pro takes about five minutes (or more) to start up? I keep getting popups stating that ZA is loading and that I can hit cancel to shut it down. It disappears only to pop up again after 30 seconds or so. Makes my notebook slow as molasses booting into Windows (I have WinPatrol setup to delay SnagIt 8.2 starting until 5 minutes after Windows starts - SnagIt loads at about the 15 minute mark). Anyway, just curious - I'm off to post in the ZA forums (been too lazy to do so of late)...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version