ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firewalls - please, i can't be bothered.

<< < (8/17) > >>

nudone:
that's sounds interesting. thanks, MerleOne, i'll try Sygate.

edit: computer says "no" to sygate also.

it seemed pretty sporadic how it would ask me whether something should connect to the net.

Curt:
Maybe there really are people who can stay out of trouble for ever even though they are running a free firewall. Maybe. I know I would have had a hole lot more of troubles if I gone the free way. But I really think there is no such thing as a free meal. Somehow you are going to pay in the end. And I have never for a moment been sorry that I paid for Outpost PRO - it is THE firewall for a personel computer at home. I started with version 2.5 and is now using 4.0

Any problems with Outpost usually comes from the setup you have chosen. If you avoid the most strict settings, you will ALMOST never be troubled with this firewall. You will hardly know it is there, until you try to run some poison.

Outpost runs in perfect harmony with Eset NOD32 Antivirus.

Outpost PRO 4, and NOD32 2.7 :   :-*

f0dder:
If you're not doing strict outbound filtering, there's not much point in running a personal firewall - a router with NAT translation is going to offer better protection for incoming traffic. The XP firewall then does the job of protecting you if a friend with an infected laptop visits you (and your LAN)...

Curt:
If you're not doing strict outbound filtering, there's not much point in running a personal firewall ...-f0dder (March 04, 2007, 04:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Define "strict"  8)

I am running a strict setup, but the next guy doesn't have to, does he. But you are making an important point, a point that is to be taken seriously: There is no such thing as a free meal - and there is (for all I can see) no such thing as a free well protecting firewall that will never demand your attention and time.

Sorry if my first post gave any other impression

Carol Haynes:
Maybe there really are people who can stay out of trouble for ever even though they are running a free firewall. Maybe. I know I would have had a hole lot more of troubles if I gone the free way. But I really think there is no such thing as a free meal. Somehow you are going to pay in the end. And I have never for a moment been sorry that I paid for Outpost PRO - it is THE firewall for a personel computer at home. I started with version 2.5 and is now using 4.0

Any problems with Outpost usually comes from the setup you have chosen. If you avoid the most strict settings, you will ALMOST never be troubled with this firewall. You will hardly know it is there, until you try to run some poison.

Outpost runs in perfect harmony with Eset NOD32 Antivirus.

Outpost PRO 4, and NOD32 2.7 :   :-*
-Curt (March 04, 2007, 04:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Certainly not my experience with Outpost - I have had anything but a smooth ride with both versions 3 and 4 on 3 computers - to the point now where I have given up on a full 12 month subscription before it even started (they would not refund even though the subscription had not started).

I am not alone and lots of users refuse to use version 4 because of instability issues.

The biggest issue I had was system instability and BSODs - when it did work it was a real system hog (and that was with most of the optional plugins disabled).

Oh and by the way I was running it with NOD32 ...

Now I am running using WinXP firewall behind a router firewall and had no problems.

It really does beat me why no company can addess the issue that seems to be the golden grail:

... a low impact firewall that is a firewall and ONLY a firewall!

I would like to filter outgoing traffic but until someone suggests a suitable product I am not going to bother any more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version