ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firewalls - please, i can't be bothered.

<< < (5/17) > >>

iphigenie:
I tried coreforce last summer (it refers to bsd, how could i not?) and had trouble with it. I was looking for a rule based firewall that would allow rules that were based on executable+protocol+port+state, like what you use on unix system and like the old kerio/tiny used to be in the old times. The first time it wouldn't run and I can't remember what i had the second time but it was conflicts with other programs (and no, i don't run 2 firewalls at once or anything) linked to that driver-level functionality.

I'm sure it has evolved a lot since though so probably it's a lot more stable. It'd be a very good technical firewall if that's the case, but it will expect you to understand the basics of tcpip and to make a lot of decisions yourself at first.

nudone:
i've removed Blink as it came up with a couple of false positives that i really can't be bothered with (it didn't like me playing mov files with KMPlayer).

just tried coreforce and i've removed that also - whichever rule i set it just wouldn't stop asking me if Maxthon was okay to go online. Way too much trouble trying to figure out why it's doing this.

so, i'm about to put agnitum outpost v1 back on and i think i'll stick with that until it does something really bad.

edit:
haha, no i won't. it refuses to install now as it thinks it's already running - even after rebooting. so goodbye agnitum outpost too.

TucknDar:
I'm quite happy with Kerio 2.1.5.

Over at wilderssecurity forums there's a couple of custom made rules, which serve as a good starting point.

I realize that you've had problems with Kerio, but I'll still recommend it. Very lightweight, and I'd even consider using it if I had a hardware firewall, just to be able to see what goes in and out.

I'm no techie, but this works for me :)

nudone:
okay, i'm going to try Kerio again  :huh:

f0dder:
I was looking for a rule based firewall that would allow rules that were based on executable+protocol+port+state, like what you use on unix system and like the old kerio/tiny used to be in the old times.
-iphigenie (February 27, 2007, 02:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm, a *u*x firewall that takes application executable into account? I haven't seen that yet... only on windows (I used to use Tiny, then Kerio when Tiny went commercial, then gave up after both became bloated and I couldn't be bothered anymore.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version