ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

firefox vs. opera: FF is slow when hitting 'back', opera just uses cache

<< < (3/3)

Dirhael:
Note, Opera has slowed down its RAM cache a bit in recent builds for sites who use onUnload Javascript and some other heuristic triggers (to allow AJAX history navigation to work etc). You can regain Opera's phenomenal speed by setting:

opera:config#UserPrefs|HistoryNavigationMode to 3

Then, using Site specific preferences you can enable compatible mode only for sites like GMail that benefit from it.

Firefox's recent history cache is still both slower and much more memory hungry than Opera's. I've tested this by opening Google Image Searches for Picasso, Magritte and Dali (20 images per page). Then navigation through ten pages (thus 200 images per tab and 600 images total). Firefox fails after 5 (default settings) back navigations in total. Opera can render *all* of the 30 pages and 600 images immediately using some 40% less RAM!

kimchii — that Proxo filter will not stop Firefox from having to rerender web pages. You probably have Fastback enabled in Firefox. Your filter *will* stop sites forcing you to revalidate HTTP resources, though will make forums etc not automatically update unless overridden.

-nontroppo (August 13, 2007, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

I never found out how to enable the new history nav mode on a site-per-site basis. Care to enlighten a fellow Opera user? :)

nontroppo:
Opera are trying to "simplify" the UI and so options like this are only available via editing the site prefs INI file manually. To do this:

1) In Opera, make a site-specific prefs entry for SiteX (context-menu > Edit site preferences...) via the UI. I normally remove the domain www to leave just the main site e.g. nytimes.com rather than www.nytimes.com. Close Opera.
2) Go to your profile directory (look in opera:about to se where it is) and find override.ini. Open it in an editor of your choice.
3) Find the site you added, and append:

User Prefs|History Navigation Mode=#

# is
Automatic mode = 1 (uses heuristics to best guess)
Compatible mode = 2 (slow mode)
Fast mode = 3 (turbo mode!)

to that entry, for example:

--- ---[ebay.co.uk]
User Prefs|Ignore Unrequested Popups=1
User Prefs|Accept Cookies Session Only=0
User Prefs|Local CSS File=C:\Documents and Settings\styles\ebay.css
User Prefs|User JavaScript=0
User Prefs|Always Load User JavaScript=0
User Prefs|Enable Referrer=1
User Agent|Spoof UserAgent ID=1
User Prefs|History Navigation Mode=3
In this example, this forces Opera to use fast navigation for ebay.co.uk - so i ensure I get lightning fast navigation there no matter what my default global setting is :-) Setting the number to 2 uses the compatible mode - which I use for [mail.google.com]. I also add some personal modifications to the CSS (change link colours and fonts to my liking), turn off my UserJS (aka greasemonkey) scripts as I don't use them for EBay, and allow EBay to set permanent cookies (my default sets all cookies as session only). thos last options are fully available via the UI. Site-specific preferences rocks, and IINM it is coming to Firefox too in V3 :-)

Dirhael:
Opera are trying to "simplify" the UI and so options like this are only available via editing the site prefs INI file manually. To do this:

1) In Opera, make a site-specific prefs entry for SiteX (context-menu > Edit site preferences...).
2) Go to your profile directory (look in opera:about to se where it is) and find override.ini. Open it in an editor of your choice.
3) Find the site you added, and append:

to that entry, for example:

--- ---[ebay.co.uk]
User Prefs|Ignore Unrequested Popups=1
User Prefs|Accept Cookies Session Only=0
User Prefs|Local CSS File=C:\Documents and Settings\styles\ebay.css
User Prefs|User JavaScript=0
User Prefs|Always Load User JavaScript=0
User Prefs|Enable Referrer=1
User Agent|Spoof UserAgent ID=1
In this example, this forces Opera to use fast navigation for ebay.co.uk - so i ensure I get lightning fast navigation there no matter what my default global setting is :-) Setting the number to 1 uses the compatible heuristic - which I use for [mail.google.com]. I also add some personal modifications to the CSS (change link colours and fonts to my liking), turn off my UserJS (aka greasemonkey) scripts as I don't use them for EBay, and allow EBay to set permanent cookies (my default sets all cookies as session only). thos last options are fully available via the UI. Site-specific preferences is such a fantastic feature, and it is coming to Firefox too in V3 :-)
-nontroppo (August 14, 2007, 08:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah I know, I use site specific preferences for UserJS & CSS all the time...but I did not know that I could set the navigation mode there as well. Thanks a lot for the info, it should come in handy! I use mode 3 all the time, but as you briefly mentioned already, some sites do need mode 1 to function correctly and it always seemed strange having to change this option globally when I needed it. I probably should have looked this up on your great Opera wiki before asking though, as I'm sure there's some info on it already :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version