ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Introductory C# web-based tutorials

<< < (6/17) > >>

kyrathaba:
Yeah, I prefer VS, definitely.  But apparently you cannot install Visual C# 2005 Express to a USB mass storage device.  Am I mistaken?  I'll download the source code for SharpDevelop and experiment.  Thanks for the suggestion.

dwane413:
Bryan,
Thanks for your tutorials. They are very well done.

After going over half way through the second tutorial, I decided to see how the "Hello world" program worked on my Windows 98 machine. So I set up the folder that the EXE file is in for sharing over the network and when I tried to run it in Win98, I got the error "A required .DLL file, MSCOREE.DLL, was not found."

While searching for information about that error, I found http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316091 which says:

CAUSE
This behavior occurs if the Microsoft .NET Framework is not installed on the target computer. Applications and controls written for the .NET Framework require that it be installed on the computer on which the application or control runs.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, install the .NET Framework on the target computer.
--- End quote ---

It then gives instructions on installing the .NET Framework.

Am I understanding correctly that programs I write with C# will not run on computers without the .NET Framework already installed, or will I find out in later tutorials how to compile programs that will run on most computers.

Thanks

kyrathaba:
Dwane,

I'm glad you like the tutorials.  More are on the way :)  I had a motherboard go AWOL on me and while I'm waiting on a replacement computer I'm using my father's old eMachine (yes, your sympathy is appreciated).  But I still anticipate having the quiz program finished by the end of this weekend, and I'll make it available for download.  To go along with it, I'll be throwing up a webpage reviewing materials covered in the first five tutorials, and some sample program assignment to reinforce those concepts.  So stay tuned...

You understand correctly that the .NET Framework must be installed on target machines in order for them to run programs written in any .NET programming language (C#.NET, C++.NET, VB.NET, etc.). 

I should also state, however, that programming tools for authoring .NET programs will typically have an option -- when you are building an installation -- for your setup program to check the target computer for the .NET Framework and download and install it if it is not found.

Some people naysay the .NET Framework because it is required, but it's really no different than VB6 requiring the VB6 runtime DLL, and look how successful VB6 was.  A tremendous advantage of the .NET Framework is that it's authored by some of the most knowledgeable, experienced programmers anywhere, and they're able to draw upon a wealth of expertise to give us a very robust, complete group of assemblies containing just about any functionality you could ever imagine needing for your coding.

The .NET Framework is becoming ubiquitous.  Most end-users will already have it installed, and if not it's easily acquired.  True, native and unmanaged code, such as that produced by non-.NET C++, is independent of the .NET Framework, but .NET makes the programmer's job much easier in many situations.

If you are learning C# as a first language, you shouldn't feel any serious misgivings.  Although professional developers have some concerns related to .NET's long-term longevity and free accessibility, I don't think they would argue that C# is a great choice.

kyrathaba:
Update:

I'm pushing back the estimated completion date for the quiz program that reviews content of tutorials 1 through 5.  I decided to write a Quiz-Maker utility that will be reusable for future quizzes, and that will allow me to save entire quizzes to disk using serialization.

Once I get the quizmaker completed, I'll need to setup the quiz program for deserialization.  It will take a few more days, given my current schedule.  Sorry for the delay, but once I complete these initial two programs, future quiz programs will be a snap.

Tutorial #6, due out in late March, will cover conditional execution and looping, integrating those concepts into ongoing focus on classes, inheritance, and polymorphism.  Feedback welcomed.

kyrathaba:
Update:

I think I'll have both the quiz program itself and the "Tutorials 1 to 5 Review Quiz" ready by tomorrow evening.  Rather than write a separate Quiz Maker and Quiz Taker, I decided to incorporate both into the same application, and simply use a login routine to determine which UI gets accessed.  If you login to the editor, it takes you to the quiz-maker interface; otherwise it takes you to the quiz-taker interface.

I will make the application available freely.  It has the ability to make 10, 20, and 30-item quizzes that are multiple choice A,B,C,D in format.  And, of course, it allows you to take a quiz and grades you on your performance.  The quiz files produced by the program have a password property that gives you the option of password-protecting the ability to edit the quiz.  Quiz files are simply serialized objects of type Quiz, where Quiz is a class contained in the program.

In conjunction with "Tutorials 1 to 5 Review Quiz", I'll also be providing an online flash presentation that covers concepts reviewed in the quiz, and that gives online example program code listings for study.  This flash presentation will include voice.

Thanks to those who have expressed appreciation for the tutorial series.  It really boosts my motivation to continue this work.  Feedback always welcomed.  Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version