topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Virtual PC 2007 Final  (Read 7503 times)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Virtual PC 2007 Final
« on: February 21, 2007, 07:11 AM »
Browsing around one of the emulation sites I regularly visit, I found the news of Virtual PC 2007 ready for debut time. And it's completely free! That's a good move, especially for those making the jump to Vista, or even worse, Vista 64 bits, which lacks the automatic file and registry redirection built into Vista 32 bits. That's the price to pay for higher RAM compatibility and new security features.

Anyway, to the point. The main changes are:

• Complete support for Vista: both as a host and virtualized system
  • Improved performance, as it uses the Virtual Server 2005 R2 codebase
  • Support for 64 bits host systems
  • Support for something-PXE (who knows ;D)
  • Support for the virtualization technologies developed by AMD and Intel (ya know, the new instructions built into the Athlon 64+ X2 and the Core 2 Duo)

Vista support address one of my main complains about these SO: the possible lack of compatibility with old applications. Although it seems that I still need DOSBox to run LucasArts games, newer games like MDK or Silver will probably run wonderfully with Virtual PC 2007. Great!

You can find more information about it here

As a bonus, on the same site, I found some other news about what it seems like a fairly new virtualization solution, VirtualBox. This one seems more complete than Virtual PC, as it can run a handful of SOs, including Windows, Linux, and several other minor SO, like Solaris or FreeBSD. Best of all, it's open source, so everyone can benefit on it. Don't know how well it fares, though.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 07:15 AM by Lashiec »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Virtual PC 2007 Final
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 09:48 AM »
PXE, unless there's multiple acronyms, has to do with network booting...
- carpe noctem

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 11:16 AM »
Virtual PC 2007 ready for debut time. (...) You can find more information about it here

I was so impressed. This Virtual PC stuff is close to being genius! Like having virtual desktops, only with Operating Systems... Watch the Application compatibility demo, at this page.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 11:21 AM by Curt »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 12:25 PM »
As a bonus, on the same site, I found some other news about what it seems like a fairly new virtualization solution, VirtualBox.
There was already a post about that program, and i use it. But thanks a lot for remembering me to update it!!
Apparently, the project is quite active, since it was updated just yesterday and it already had 3 releases in the latest 2 months! (inicial release was on january 2007)

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 02:54 PM »
Hello,

is there a performance difference between Virtual PC 2007 and Virtual Box?
I am just thinking if a change from Virtual PC to Virtual Box would make sense.
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 04:02 PM »
Virtual Box is regarded to be the better one. VirtualPC does Windows and a small set of Linux distributions (according to its documentation) while Virtual Box does not impose those limits. Besides that, it has a 'community' edition (open source) next to their business version.

Virtual PC is only available on Windows, while Virtual Box is available for Windows, Linux and if memory serves me correctly,  Solaris/OpenSolaris. Virtual PC is arguably faster with Windows based virtual machines when compared with Virtual Box/VMware. For me, I didn't experience a speed gain with those VM's when testing Virtual PC.

At the moment I am using VMware, mainly because I am too lazy to create native Virtual Box VM's. Never tried Virtual Box's  ability to read VM's created with VMware, though.

PS:
Do not use the free VMware server v2.x!!!
This software is a true abomination to look at, uses a very resource hungry Tomcat webserver and hardly functions with older VM's created with VMware server 1.x. Do not 'upgrade' those to the new format from the 2.0 version. I lost two VM's that way! 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 04:08 PM by Shades »

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 07:19 PM »
Yay VirtualBox!!

Ehtyar.