ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Virtual PC 2007 Final

(1/2) > >>

Lashiec:
Browsing around one of the emulation sites I regularly visit, I found the news of Virtual PC 2007 ready for debut time. And it's completely free! That's a good move, especially for those making the jump to Vista, or even worse, Vista 64 bits, which lacks the automatic file and registry redirection built into Vista 32 bits. That's the price to pay for higher RAM compatibility and new security features.

Anyway, to the point. The main changes are:

* Complete support for Vista: both as a host and virtualized system
* Improved performance, as it uses the Virtual Server 2005 R2 codebase
* Support for 64 bits host systems
* Support for something-PXE (who knows ;D)
* Support for the virtualization technologies developed by AMD and Intel (ya know, the new instructions built into the Athlon 64+ X2 and the Core 2 Duo)
Vista support address one of my main complains about these SO: the possible lack of compatibility with old applications. Although it seems that I still need DOSBox to run LucasArts games, newer games like MDK or Silver will probably run wonderfully with Virtual PC 2007. Great!

You can find more information about it here

As a bonus, on the same site, I found some other news about what it seems like a fairly new virtualization solution, VirtualBox. This one seems more complete than Virtual PC, as it can run a handful of SOs, including Windows, Linux, and several other minor SO, like Solaris or FreeBSD. Best of all, it's open source, so everyone can benefit on it. Don't know how well it fares, though.

f0dder:
PXE, unless there's multiple acronyms, has to do with network booting...

Curt:
Virtual PC 2007 ready for debut time. (...) You can find more information about it here -Lashiec (February 21, 2007, 07:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was so impressed. This Virtual PC stuff is close to being genius! Like having virtual desktops, only with Operating Systems... Watch the Application compatibility demo, at this page.

jgpaiva:
As a bonus, on the same site, I found some other news about what it seems like a fairly new virtualization solution, VirtualBox.
-Lashiec (February 21, 2007, 07:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
There was already a post about that program, and i use it. But thanks a lot for remembering me to update it!!
Apparently, the project is quite active, since it was updated just yesterday and it already had 3 releases in the latest 2 months! (inicial release was on january 2007)

masu:
Hello,

is there a performance difference between Virtual PC 2007 and Virtual Box?
I am just thinking if a change from Virtual PC to Virtual Box would make sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version