ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Macro programs - advice sought...

<< < (3/9) > >>

mouser:
quite right, autoit is also fantastic, beautiful, and free.

Miles:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm using keystroke macros to 'drive' kinematics in my MCAD program, but I'm looking for ways to make this work faster and also to have better control. At the moment I use the macro recording in my Belkin N52 Speedpad.

I'd also like to start playing with scripting languages.

So, to answer your question, Mouser - both, but not necessarily in the same program...

Thanks, all.

Miles

mouser:
the real serious advantage of using autohotkey here is that we have skrommel who is not only an incredible expert at the autohotkey scripting language but extremely generous in terms of being willing to help people write scripts.  definitely something to consider..

Miles:
It's very useful to know that, thanks.

I had a quick look at the autohotkey and Autoit sites - they both look amazing.

I'll download and play once I've done a days work :)

Thanks

Miles

kfitting:
Yeah AutoIt and AutoHotKey are two amazing utilities.  I tend to use AutoHotKey more for "shell tweaks" (hotkeys, always-running windows enhancements) and AutoIt for scripting.  AutoHotKey has a very simple and powerful text replacement/hotkey configuration that AutoIt just seems to make overly complex (relatively I mean).  But, I just cant get used to the AutoHotKey syntax!  I know it's supposed to make things easier, and maybe it is if you've never coded before, but it seems much more fluid (like, sometimes variables need to be enclosed by %, sometimes not, sometimes you need to use :=, other times just =).  I like the more rigid structure of AutoIt.  It's closer to the VBA I'm accustomed to. 

All that blabber having been said, as mouser said, they are both extremely powerful and I'm not sure one is "better" than the other.  Test drive them both for a while and see what you use each one for!!

Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version