ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Macro programs - advice sought...

<< < (6/9) > >>

Veign:
Another choice is Macro Scheduler - also not free:
http://www.mjtnet.com/

Very powerful scripting language....

Nighted:
No one mentioned Hot Keyboard Pro!  :o This is shareware btw...

This is hands down, the best keyboard shortcut/macro app I've ever used and had the priviledge to own. Sure AutoHotKey is cool but it is more for the coder/power user and lacks the intuitiveness of presets that the average (majority) GUI dependant user has grown used to.

# avoid typing the same text again and again (phone, homepage link, address, greetings, singatures, ...) in the messages, documents, web forms
# stop wasting your time on mouse movements searching for an application in a cascade of menus and folders
# keep your desktop clean (photo of your dog looks better than 100 icons)
# control computer sounds instantly from any app (somebody's calling? mute music!)
# open favorite web pages with a single hotkey press
# manage sound tracks in the computer cd player or even WinAmp MP3 player
# build a sequence of actions and execute it with a shortcut
# record keystrokes and play them back a specified number of times
# keep the same hotkeys on different computers with import/export feature, or even synchronize macros over the network
# use Hot Keyboard on quite old computers and modern ones (Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP are supported)

mouser:
i used and like hot keyboard pro a lot - a very good app.
(though i have switched to Macro Express, i can't remember why now).

rjbull:
Yeah AutoIt and AutoHotKey are two amazing utilities.  I tend to use AutoHotKey more for "shell tweaks" (hotkeys, always-running windows enhancements) and AutoIt for scripting.  AutoHotKey has a very simple and
-kfitting (August 24, 2005, 05:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

What do you define as a "script?"  What I'm thinking of is that in PowerPro - *IF* I remember correctly - you can't mix mouse operations with keyboard commands without putting them in a script, albeit you can create operations directly that use only one or the other.

johnk:
As others have said, it does all depend what you want a macro program to do, but for the basic turbo-charged keyboard shortcut program I really like Activewords. Nicely designed program that's surprisingly powerful when you get to know it, and has a helpful community. $49. (http://www.activewords.com/ for details. I also use Macro Express.

In fact if I had to name the programs that keep me wedded to Windows, Activewords and Macro Express would be two of them. I'd be hard pressed to think of many others - maybe Roboform. All three do wonders for my productivity.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version