ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is it so hard to find a decent image organizer?

<< < (23/65) > >>

nontroppo:
Sorry for not reading through all the posts here, but I gotta spill: I  :-* lightroom.

I initially was just looking for a organizer - I didn't think I wanted any more. My plan was to use Adobe Camera Raw + Photoshop for doing the pixel-pushing. Bridge has some horrid bugs for me in CS2 and so off I went downloading things to try. Unexpectedly, my journey took me to Bibble Pro, which is both a store and a pixel pusher, and using RAW + JPGs I could do my non-destructive editing with ease. However, Bibble is pretty sluggish as you add more and more images, so off I went again, until I hit the Lightroom beta. As is the golden rule on a computer - find the shortcuts and I was amazed and delighted. Lightroom is just beautiful. I hate to use the non-word, but 'workflow' is so well balanced - and it does make a difference. I am not a professional photographer, but I do take pride in my photos. Lightroom, especially 1.1 allows fantastic flexibility, comprehensive tagging and rugged handling. But tying the darkroom so closely into the image store makes a real difference. Applying enhancments to sets of images suddenly becomes less of a batch battle. The darkroom itself is just fantastic, from clarity to selective colour control to competitive noise removal and selective sharpening. This works on JPGs and RAW transparently. Performance, at least on a Macbook is excellent; only if I have a full Virtual machine running XP, photoshop open and some others would I notice any slowdown. I actually resent Adobe for many things (their bug fixing is atrocious, they respond arrogantly and the CS suite drags all but the strongest machine to Pentium II performance), but they have weaved magic with Lightroom, truly photo-heaven...

Carol Haynes:
but they have weaved magic with Lightroom, truly photo-heaven...
--- End quote ---

That's probably because they had a lot of new (and very experienced talent working on it). The whole team from Pixmantec (who produced RawShooter - a truly excellent program) moved over to the LightRoom team. I was really pleased that as a Pixmantec customer Adobe gave me a free upgrade to LightRoom - I too think it is superb, brilliant and beautiful (and that's on Windows!). Not cheap though if you have to pay for it ;)

edbro:
Not cheap though if you have to pay for it ;)-Carol Haynes (September 06, 2007, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'll say! Reading about this prompted me to look it up. It is about $300 on Amazon.com. Too steep for my budget. That's about $300 more than Picasa or Xnview.

Carol Haynes:
Just looked on the Adobe website and it is listed at $299. I am really glad I bought Pixmantec RawShooter Premium when I did - that cost me £40 (~$75) so I feel quite chuffed with a free copy of LightRoom ;)

Curt:
.. listed at $299. ... ~$75 ...
...I feel quite chuffed with a free copy of LightRoom -Carol Haynes (September 06, 2007, 08:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow, some deal, you made, Carol !!  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version