ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is it so hard to find a decent image organizer?

<< < (17/65) > >>

Darwin:
I might be totally off beam but I'm wondering if the size of the files has something to do with the metadata it's trying to save???
--- End quote ---

Worth a look-see, anyway. I've no idea how to go about checking this and will wait to hear what the developer has to say. In the meantime, can anyone else who's used/using exifPro comment on the size of the database that results from indexing digital camera photos (files sizes in the 700-800KB range) using the normal thumbnail size setting (560 X 560 BOX)?

tomos:
Darwin, where does exifpro store thumbnails -
I had a look in the usual places but couldnt find it (& it's still morning here  ;)  )
- I just found one ExifPro folder hidden in an "MiK" folder in Anwendungsdaten (I forget the english name - User, Application folders?), but its only got a text file about LightTable ???)

in the viewer with more than one foto displaying,
zoom (+) enlarges all photos at the same time -
if you drag one you drag them all - super for comparing details of similar photos.
- Ctrl+drag just moves one ...

:-*  :-*

JeffK:
FWIW ExifPro cataloged my 224MB of 1024*768 photos in a 68MB file containing "normal" size thumbnails (560x560) in about 2 minutes.  Two files had errors and as Darwin found each error had to be acknowledged manually before cataloging continued.

tomos:
It seems I havent created a catologue or even a thumbnails folder ?? -

I thought because ExifPro scanned my photos folder
then i clicked on a shortcut to my photos folder & it proceeded to create thumbnails for all 12,180 pictures
(I didnt know how many were there till now    ) 
-me
--- End quote ---
but
I see that its set to scan subfolders so if you select your photo folder, everything gets scanned.

But I'm still not sure what that means - does it just create temporary thumbnails?

I'm going to show my ignorance & ask what the advantage of creating a "catalogue" is -
is it simply to differentiate it from other catalogues?
or is it for searching reasons?
or can you only tag stuff in catalogues No, tagging works fine

I must go look in the help i think  :tellme:

EDIT on looking again I guess its partly so it loads [even] quicker?

JeffK:
If you simply click on a folder in explorer view (left hand pane) it will simply create temporary thumbnails (and fast).  Subfolders can be excluded or included at the user's choice.  Creating a catalog enables one to keep images (thumbnails or bigger) in a file on your hard drive.  I haven't tried yet but presumably one can create a catalog with images from different folders.

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version