ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is it so hard to find a decent image organizer?

<< < (58/65) > >>

Jibz:
No warning before any changes or edits buffering. I had wanted to test it on my photos folder and I am lucky I did not. It would mess up my existing tags completely.
-fenixproductions (March 05, 2012, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is the thing that always worries me the most when I try a new tool for working with images, hence why I asked if it was non-destructive, because that is a major demand for me ever since the first time I installed Picasa to see what all the fuss was about and it proceeded to write its own name as editor in my entire photo collection >:(.

I think you are right, it is a problem that sync to files is on by default with no clear indication that this is the case.

K.Murat:
Jibz, thanks for the comprehensive feedback!  :up:

I've added part of your suggestion/feedback to our bug-tracking system. Another part are already exist there.

A few comments below:

Btw, is Daminion non-destructive, as in, can I safely let it catalog my image folder without it writing EXIF data to all images or something sinister like that? ;D
-Jibz (March 05, 2012, 08:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can do it via Sync button (on the toolbar) > "Turn Off Auto-Syncing Metadata".

Interface is very slow while importing -- image properties takes 3-4 seconds to update on a quad-core

--- End quote ---

The speed of importing depends from what image formats you are importing. 100 JPEG (8-12 MP) files on my CoreDuo E6750 2.66 Ghz were imported for ~1 min.
Some background processes might affect to the performance. Import speed of video files is slower.  

Or did you mean the metadata synchronization by updating? Update or Metadata syncing a slow process because we need to write information back into the files. And for RAW files this is especially slow because we use ExifTool via command line. But this is a background process so you can turn it on when you need to leave your PC.

Import from camera would be nice, but I gather from the forums it is in the works :)

--- End quote ---

Yes. This feature under development.

K.Murat:
The catalog generated is small (only 55MB vs 5GB for exifPro) but is taking a very long time to load after updating to the latest beta - just finished after perhaps 2 or 3 minutes.
-Darwin (March 05, 2012, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

After upgrading Daminion might to upgrade your catalog (database) sometimes to a new version. And this might require a few minutes.

K.Murat:
Build 494 crashed when changing views to DetailsWithPreviewTop, though it's something I can't reproduce. This was after creating, importing small catalog.
-rgdot (March 05, 2012, 02:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Could please send any further error messages/bug-reports to support at daminion.net.

K.Murat:
I had tried Daminion few days ago and didn't like three things:

* No configuration at all.-fenixproductions (March 05, 2012, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is something that can implement in the future, but at the moment we would like to polish the default UI, like any web-service.

* For my 200MB cliparts folder it created 90MB hidden directory full of thumbnails.
--- End quote ---

We keep this approach for the following reasons:
1. Catalog (SQLite database) size is smaller;
2. You can select to backup your catalog with or without thumbnails. Because thumbnails are something that could be regenerated later, from actual files;
3. The performance of loading thumbnails from files is better than loading from the database.

No warning before any changes or edits buffering. I had wanted to test it on my photos folder and I am lucky I did not. It would mess up my existing tags completely.

--- End quote ---

May be "Auto-Sync Tags with Metadata" feature should be turned off by default?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version