ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is it so hard to find a decent image organizer?

<< < (56/65) > >>

Jibz:
Downloaded the beta, definitely going to give it a try :Thmbsup:.

Darwin:
Looking at Daminion Beta myself. Funny how I dropped back here to read this thread and found that it had been reactivated around the time I decided I needed to organize my image files again! PhotoCollector 2.x just crashes on my Win7 64-bit machine.

K.Murat:
The latest Daminion 0.497 update

Jibz:
Attempting to install from a normal account on Win7 does not bring up the UAC prompt to get right to write to the program files folder, instead the installer fails when it cannot write to the folder.

You might want to either use UAC to get the proper rights, or check if the program is being run from an administrator account.

Btw, is Daminion non-destructive, as in, can I safely let it catalog my image folder without it writing EXIF data to all images or something sinister like that? ;D

Edit: adding random first impression thoughts:

* Interface is very slow while importing -- image properties takes 3-4 seconds to update on a quad-core
* Select All does nothing if nothing is selected, you have to first select an image and then press select all for it to work
* It would be nice with a visual indication of whether auto-sync is on or off, it seems you have to press Sync and see if the first option is to turn it on or off to know?
* When Sort By is set to None, the tooltip still says Sorted by Filename
* Left clicking the circle next to an item in the Catalog Tags pane selects it (green dot), I half expected clicking it again to deselect it, but you have to ctrl-click it
* If I have folders D:\Pictures\2001 and D:\Pictures\2002 and I select one of them in the Catalog Tags pane, it shows up as "D:" in the bar above the images that shows the current filter. Even worse, if I select both it shows up as "D: OR D:". I think it might be better to show the last folder on the path, i.e. "2001 OR 2002", or at least add a tooltip to the items on the bar

* If like above, I select both folders and get "D: OR D:", and then click the little red X next to one of them on the bar, it correctly removes that one from the bar, but the image window says "No items match your search criteria"
* Import from camera would be nice, but I gather from the forums it is in the works :)
* When using full screen view or the filmstrip, it would be nice if Daminion did some pre-loading of the next image in a background thread like for instance ACDSee does, so you don't get the "rendering" message every time you move
Very nice work I must say, so far I like it :Thmbsup:.

One thing I especially appreciate is that it focuses on image management and does not clutter the interface with a bunch of "easy image editing tools" that I would use another dedicated program for anyway, I hope you can resist the temptation to "add the kitchen sink" :-[.

Darwin:
Daminion took a LONG time to import my pictures folder (about 34 GB in just over 8 hours) but it's been smooth since.

The catalog generated is small (only 55MB vs 5GB for exifPro) but is taking a very long time to load after updating to the latest beta - just finished after perhaps 2 or 3 minutes.

Will report back after I've played with it. Like what I see so far, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version