ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is it so hard to find a decent image organizer?

<< < (27/65) > >>

DonL:
DonL: Thanks! I had already downloaded the XYplorer trial and looked through the help file but found no EXIF tagging solution. So I was about to give up on it. But this gives new hope!  :Thmbsup:
-Nod5 (August 15, 2009, 04:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
Pretty long post. Could need some ellipsis... I added one... ;)

I prefer to answer shortly, never mind, and give you some information you *might* not know yet about XYplorer:

1. Not only right-click, but also left-click on thumbnails gives a preview, but only as long as you hold the mouse button down.
2. You can quickly add a tag by directly clicking into the tag column! That's one click per tag. (You have to activate this mode in Configuration / Tags).
3. Yes, only one tag per file is possible; but you also have the "Comment" field where you can put as many keywords as you like, which you later (see next point!) can use for searching.
4. The current version of XY does not yet support searching by Tag or Comment, BUT one of the next versions will. And this search will be *ultrafast* because it will get the info directly from the tag database and not from the file system / hard disk. A big advantage over alternative tagging systems like descript.ion.
5. Your scripting idea ("C.") with Dual Pane would work, nice idea actually. Especially useful for semi-automatically filling the Comment field.
6. XYplorer does support export of file data (including tags and comments!) to CSV format ever since. Check out the Report tab on the Info Panel...
7. Version 8.30 will also support Date Shifting (e.g. add 3.5 hours to the EXIF date before renaming/touching the file).
8. Yes, XYplorer's dateexif will be equal to date taken. Note that files can have only EXIF and no date taken (if "date taken" refers to "extended shell properties" of files). XYplorer's dateexif will return the EXIF date of those files as well.

Don

Nod5:
Pretty long post. Could need some ellipsis... I added one... ;)
-DonL (August 15, 2009, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
:D

Thanks for more pointers! Worth repeating: XYplorer has a lot of great features. Though in the end it seems I'd need some scripting to speed my final goal (tags to filenames) after all. I haven't found any other application that without scripting achieves that (very narrow) goals exactly either so I'm going for some AHK solution that operates on top of some thumbnail list view program like XYplorer or Explorer.

DonL:
tags to filenames)
-Nod5 (August 16, 2009, 04:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oh, you want to add tags directly to filenames (rename the file) -- ok, this can also be done in a one-click fashion using XYplorer's scripting. Like you could set up 20 Catalog items which on a click do whatever you want to the current file name. All imaginable logic and rename artistry is supported.

Very soon you will also get customizable toolbar buttons which will do whatever you tell them to do in one click.

:) Don

StCroixSkipper:
I'm new to this thread.  I just discovered it today.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Microsoft Photo Gallery.  It comes free with Vista.  It uses Microsoft's new Desktop Search Engine to create its index. 

Images are indexed in the background.

I have 6,000 images and it displays thumbnails quickly. If you 'mouse over' a thumbnail, it shows a full image with metadata, i.e. tags, comment and title fields.

I've used Picasa 3 and it croaks on a large number of photos.  This problem has nothing to do with the index, it is simply a problem of trying to render more images than it has memory.

I am a developer and have written several applications for myself and my family to manage our own digital images.  Photo Gallery does a fair job but it lacks a few features.  The search works well for a large number of image files.  It supports all types of image files as well as video clips.

You can see all of the photos with a given tag simply by clicking on the tag.  You can see the images in a folder by clicking on a folder.  In the search control, you can enter in search words and it finds all of the images that contain all of the search words.

I'd like to see your thoughts on how it compares with the other products you, as a group, have investigated.  :-[

Nod5:
[...] tags directly to filenames  [...] ok, this can also be done in a one-click fashion using XYplorer's scripting. Like you could set up 20 Catalog items which on a click do whatever you want to the current file name. All imaginable logic and rename artistry is supported.  [...]  Very soon you will also get customizable toolbar buttons  [...] -DonL (August 16, 2009, 02:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Neat! Though by the time I read this I had already done a small standalone AHK tag toolbar that works ok for my purposes. It gets the selected files path from the active explorer/xyplorer/etc window through ctrl+c and then operates on the filenames. (If there's great demand for it -- unlikely! -- then I'll clean up the code later and post it. Drawback: I've found no easy way to re-select multiple files in Explorer programmatically from an AHK script after renaming.) Anyway, I will keep checking XYplorer's development on this front. Customizable toolbar buttons that allow the user to run almost anything is great for many other uses also I suspect. I still like the XY's thumbnail mode a lot so I might use it for that alone with my script - I'll testdrive some more and we'll see. Thanks for all the helpful feedback!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version