ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is it so hard to find a decent image organizer?

<< < (46/65) > >>

superboyac:
I like Pictomio, not bad as an organizer either.
-cmpm (April 05, 2010, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
pictomio looks interesting.  I'm going to have to check it out.

But I guess by image 'organiser' tagging is pretty much a must - otherwise I think I'd stick with DOpus too - as I have it 
-tomos (April 05, 2010, 01:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
True.  I actually find myself using DOpus more and more for simple photo management.  Back in the day, file managers didn't have thumbnail capabilities, which is what made ACDSee so cool.  But no, just about all of them can do it, so it makes programs like ACDSee more expendable.  So this is where we're at now...

BTW, I forgot to mention that I have also been using the free Faststone Viewer for viewing photos and even some light editing - it's quick, looks very nice, and hasn’t done anything to piss me off yet!!   ;D
-J-Mac (April 05, 2010, 01:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Faststone is nice!  I keep forgetting about it.  Maybe that's the answer.  It really is one of the better, if not best, freeware browser/catalog application out there.  I'll have to see how pictomio stands up against it.

Darwin:
Can't argue with any of the comments in response to my last couple of posts! Overall, I am pretty sure that I'll wind up doing what I've been doing - keeping things organized in DOpus. What is nice about PSP X3 is that it doesn't actually do anything with the pictures that I can see. By this I mean that it doesn't index them or create a catalog. It simply reads the tags/exif info and displays pictures filtered accrordingly. The advantage over DOpus is that I can also tag my images. So... I'll use DOpus to move stuff around and to import pics onto my computer and PSP X3 if I feel the need to tag my stuff.

Jim - PSP X2 worked fine on my system (both under Vista and 7 - both 64 bit). I gave up worrying about their protection system after I could no longer get the Protexis removal hacks to work under Vista. They've changed it under X3 - it's now called the psiservice. On my system, it gobbles up about 23MB of working set RAM/1 MB of private working set memory. With 4GB of RAM on tap, I don't care about it anymore. However, when I think too hard about ti, I do get a bit PO'd about the principle of it, but c'est la vie. Lots of other apps are running similar nonsese on my system. MacDrive, for example.

JavaJones:
No RAW support in Pictomio? http://forum.pictomio.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=50 In the bin it goes!

- Oshyan

Jibz:
??
I don't know what I'd use for organization.  That's why i'm following this thread.  I'm not a big photo user, so i don't have a lot of pictures.  But if I did, I don't know what program I'd use.  Tagging, cataloging, etc.  I don't do any of that.  My photos are organized just by folders and files.  I'm actually amazed that nobody has recommended a clear cut favorite in this thread...it's been a while!  In my experiences, I've found that the applications that can do this well are really really slow.  Like Lightroom.
-superboyac (April 05, 2010, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Much the same for me. I have 6-7 gigs of images at the moment that are organized pretty much only by folder structure.

I would love to find a really good piece of software to tag and organize them which is why I'm following this :).

The ones I've tried have either been buggy/klunky, without decent search/filter options, unable to handle more than a few thousand files, or $200.

cmpm:
No RAW support in Pictomio? http://forum.pictomio.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=50 In the bin it goes!

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (April 05, 2010, 11:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

So what do you use for raw format?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version