ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is it so hard to find a decent image organizer?

<< < (36/65) > >>

Dormouse:
And that is when I discovered that there is nowhere in the program that shows me the size in pixels; the size that I can easily see in any other image organizer or editor in the world, and even in Explorer. I have asked about it at the forum, I have read and searched their Help file, and I have read all Parts of Mike Buckley's ebook on IDimager 5.

Do you happen to know where/how I can see that info within IDimager?
-J-Mac (April 01, 2010, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

On the View menu, put it into 'View Details' mode. That gives  a number of columns with simple info including Image Dimensions.

Dormouse:
For the record I have about 60% of my images labeled now but it's such a complex process to do what should be a very simple task.
--- End quote ---

It is very simple. All you need to do is to Select All files in a folder and then drag them to the appropriate Catalog label in the Catalog Explorer. Or, if you have the Media Browser open too, you can simply drag the folder you want to the label and it will label all the images in it. Or if you happen to be looking at the images somewhere else, eg in Explorer, you can just select them and drag them to the label. There's lots of ways of doing it and they tend to be pretty fast (as you would expect); just tested it - took approx 5 seconds to labe 750 photos in one folder.

Dormouse:
Why didn't anyone in the forum there say so? IMO the forum for IDimager is not very helpful. The developer doesn’t respond there and other users, well, you see what answers/suggestions I received there.
--- End quote ---

I have no idea about this; I was really surprised to read the responses to your questions. I'm no virtuoso with IDI, and I'd've expected some of those who are to have answered these immediately. I can only assume that because they do things a different way, they didn't know it could be done in the way you wanted. Or maybe, I've just misunderstood your questions, or what IDI does, and have myself got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

Very surprised not to see more responses from Hert (the developer) - he always used to respond in most threads. Just checked: he has contributed over 22% of all the posts on the forum, but his last post was on 22nd March - before most of your problems. I assume he is away.

Maybe the forums have changed; they used to be very helpful. I'll start visiting again, and also going back a bit to see how different they seem to me.

Dormouse:
Unfortunately they have made it complex needlessly in many areas it seems. Category labels and keywords should not be that difficult to assign! And "synchronizing with XMP" is just crazy! Took the program three full days and nights to "sync" my ~20,000 images - and I don’t use the XMP format!
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure about needlessly complex - there are always people that want and are using the extra complexity or ways of doing things that the program allows. It is slow to get stuff in, but I've found that to be the case with most of these complex image programs (simple ones tend to be very fast) - but once it is in, it has always been pretty easy and fast to keep up-to-date. Once you know what you are doing and how to make it work the way you want. And that is a burdensome learning curve.

Dormouse:
I guess that you can see I can't really discuss this program right now without getting frustrated all over again! Not worth the aggravation!
--- End quote ---

I really feel your pain. And feel guilty, since I feel I tipped you in the IDI direction at the beginning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version