topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How Google Killed Search  (Read 6108 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How Google Killed Search
« on: February 16, 2007, 01:54 PM »
This page has some very insightfull comments and suggestions on how to fix "the mess that google has created".

It's official. It is now completely impossible to find things on the web using a search engine. Try this out. Go to Google and see if you can find a cheap hotel in new york
What comes up? Any hotels? Not really. Just page after page of spammy affiliate sites that promise to find you great deals, but will really just send you off to other affiliate sites. Click along and you'll fall down this black hole of non-content and Google Ads with no hope of ever finding a real website where you can book a cheap hotel in New York.
I blame this phenomenon on Google's Pagerank algorithm and its reliance on link counts. The quickest way to get to the top of the rankings is to produce tons of empty pages all across the web, all linking back to your thing.

Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 01:56 PM by KenR »

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How Google Killed Search
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 04:47 PM »
Oh well, the author can only blame himself. First, try wrapping the terms in quotes: "cheap hotel" in "new york". Ignoring the sponsored links (which should not be ignored, since they are actually what he's looking for), the first link goes straight to a page where you can make a reservation. And if that site doesn't look trustworthy enough, it's only a click from there to travelocity.

Second, I don't know about actual hotel owners, but just imagining myself as one, I know I wouldn't advertise my place as "cheap". Cheap is nothing to be proud of. Try "budget" or "inexpensive" or other, more elegant synonyms, and you'll fare better.

Third, forget about the basic search. Go to Google Maps, use the exact search phrase they give as an example: "hotels near <location>", and you'll get locations, reviews and hotels' own pages with pictures, descriptions and reservation info. No spam, no linkfarms at all.

Google may have issues, but inadequate search results is not one of them :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 05:09 PM »
This does show one big point, though: you need to know how to search :)
- carpe noctem

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Yeah, that helps :)

(And linkfarms *are* a pain, I do realize that.)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 09:52 PM »
Personally i think there are some good points here.. In the early days of the internet, everyone's goal was to have the most "relevant" results at top.  Now every force in the universe is trying to put the most "profitable" paying sites up top.  There is so much money involved in getting your business to the top of google results that a whole industry has been created from it, and a huge swath of the internet is creating content for the sole purpose of getting high ranking google hits.

Go check out adsense forums and you will see post after post of people discussing what the best kind of content to write about to get high google placement and big money from google ads.  In other words - people who will write about whatever will make the most money, without any regard to whether they have background or interest in the subject.

Google's whole business model is based on advertising money.  What's better for them to put at the top of search, the page with adsense on it or the page without adsense.  They've demonstrated some integrity but they are a big corporation now, i don't for a minute doubt that they would tweak their "algorithms" however they had to to insure a big growing profit.  If it means ranking some non-commercial sites down and some commmercial sites up, so be it.  It's a vicious circle all driven by profit.  Everyone has the same incentive - to milk the most money from driving people to pages where money is going to change hands between the search engine / portal and the advertisers.

We've recently posted some articles about newspapers rewriting headlines and stories in order to get highly ranked on google.  This is where we are headed im afraid - all content being written and massaged in order to please the search engines and sites like digg.  It troubles me greatly.. only im not sure what a better solution is.  I guess my core solution for most of these things is the same answer i have for politics - take the money out of it.  But that's just heresy in the modern age.. No one wants to take the money out of search, they want to "monetize" it more. .
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 09:55 PM by mouser »

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 05:03 AM »
True, but as said you get different impression of Google and search results if you change default search page to "Advanced" or started to use geeky operators http://www.googlegui...ators_reference.html Have to "work around" advertising powers no matter they come from Googles calculations or SEO "hacking" tricking Google. Im all into Google, must live with the machine, but dont trust any search from their "address bar" for one second. Im still surprised some expect "genuine" result from a top 10 hitlist regardless of search terms. Top 10  is all you get. Worlds information on 1 page? Im sure Google and advertiser know how few click page 2, use top 20 hitlist or even think may be I used wrong terms! All points at playing the system.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 05:59 AM »
I wrote about something similar with regards to the quality of google results, only I also made a prediction on what could possibly take the top spot in delivering quality results in the future, if they made the jump to becoming a search engine: StumbleUpon

http://cranialsoup.b...ngine-of-future.html