ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Extended Character Aascii Art questions

(1/4) > >>

Edvard:
Ok, I understand ascii art. No prob. But what about the extended character set from "terminal" font? Let me explain...

I use the "tree" program to make file listings. If I open it up in Notepad, all is fine, I can see the tree lines...

But then I go to print it, and this is what happens...

No big deal, I can pass the /A switch to tree and it'll turn out ok, but then a similar issue came up...

Remember the .nfo files that were found in many *cough* 3rd-party security patches *cough* that had fancy ascii art?
I had downloaded and tested a file find utility (you can never have too many) and inside the zip there was a very nice .nfo file:

On a whim, I tried to print it. Surprise surprise, it wouldn't print the shade blocks as they appeared.

So, now I have two questions.
1- Is there any way to print the extended characters?
2- Is there a text-mode drawing program that utilizes those extended characters? (looks like fun!)

I realize there is a HUGE history behind those characters and it seems to be one of those things common to the computing world wherein something creatively coded and immensely useful for it's day gives way to waves of the future, but still manages to pop up like zombies in a Romero flick...

lanux128:
have you tried printing the file from a RTF-capable editors such as Wordpad?

Edvard:
Nope-doesn't work. I can open it and select the text and use the font, so it displays correctly, but still won't print as displayed. I have a feeling that it is more an issue with my printer than anything. The Terminal font is a bitmap font, correct? Maybe it just doesn't translate over to postscript (which my printer uses). I have tried ripping the .txt file to PostScript 2 ways: 1- using the printer driver and 2- using GhostScript. Either way does not work.

Ruffnekk:
Hey man, you got software from AmoK :) I used to be a member and coder for them. As a matter of fact, I see my name is still listed on the site *lol*.

!!! Big P.S.: AmoK has NOTHING to do with cracking other applications !!! (Before the flaming starts :P)

Any ways, maybe you can use ASCII Art Studio. It full of functionality and supports extended characters.

Edvard:
Hey man, you got software from AmoK
--- End quote ---
Yes- the "Find.More" app. Just testing it, it was in Deutsch, so I couldn't figure out the controls.
!!! Big P.S.: AmoK has NOTHING to do with cracking other applications !!!
--- End quote ---
Right- I just noticed that AmoK's .nfo had a similar look to the .nfo files from those sorts of files.
(I was an unscrupulous man in my time, and DC has already a LONG thread on the ethics of cracking and using cracks, so I'll not continue further on that...)

Any ways, maybe you can use ASCII Art Studio. It full of functionality and supports extended characters.
--- End quote ---
Wow, that looks like exactly what I'm looking for, but since my interest is really not much more than a lark, the $29.95 price tag is more than I can justify. I might use it twice for fun, if at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version