topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Your chance to contribute to the betterment of the world for all Vista users  (Read 9041 times)

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Those of you who were online tonight witnessed my crazy little stunt into a Vista issue that was just... unbelieveable to deal with, for the lack of a better term (or do you have a better-fitting one?). Here's a summary:
I downloaded drivers from Sony Ericsson for my W810i phone. They were packaged into a self-extracting archive with the extension EXE. But I just wanted to get at the contents, so I right-clicked it and chose "open with" and selected WinRAR to manually extract the contents. The open with dialog appeared and I selected WinRAR just as intented, and then realized, too late, that the box at the bottom that says "Always open this type of file with this application" (or whatever it really says, you get the point) was CHECKED. Well, guess what that did? Exactly. All of the EXE files now wanted to be launched through WinRAR... of course that doesn't work. Even Vista's own application that lets you set default file type associations and program access default setting is itself an EXEcutable, so that wouldn't launch. Ditto for command prompt, cmd.exe. Ditto for regedit.exe. I was SOL it seemed, and am very grateful to those brave souls who were online at #donationcoder at the time because they tried just about everything to help me out. They gave lots of great suggestions, though unfortunately none of them helped... save for a link that Skwire posted that ultimately saved the day. Here it is: http://forums.micros...081511&SiteID=17

• I tried copying regedit.exe to another location, renaming it to regedit.com and launching. I did this with both regedit.exe and regedit32.exe. The former can be found in C:\Windows and the latter in C:\Windows\System32.
  • I tried merging registry files into the registry that should change the crucial setting that caused the problem to fix it. Most of the REG files provided came from the users online in #donationcoder and one of them came from a DSLReports.com thread.
  • I tried uninstalling WinRAR, which made all the errors go away but now presented me with an OPEN WITH dialog for every application I tried to launch. What to pick to open them with? It's a mystery.
  • On the open with dialog, I tried the "search the web for an application to open this with" to see if that would help at all and, ironically, got this: http://shell.windows...ml/redir.asp?EXT=exe. What, Vista doesn't know the EXE extension? Of course not. It's so rare these days...

All of the above things failed. Finally, I went to that thread Skwire found and the second post from the bottom ended up being the fix I was looking for all along.

Still, I don't know exactly what fixed it.. my guess is that it was adding this key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithProgids]
"exefile"=hex(0):
(Note that the original poster in that thread did NOT include any instructions on HOW to add entries, nor did he specificy of which type they must be. Vista gives you a bunch of options for registry entry types when adding new ones.. among them are "key", "string value", "binary value", etc. What I chose when adding this particular value was "string", and it worked.. so I'm content. I just wanted to add that here so that it may be known. To add a new entry into the registry, just right click either on the key in the tree on the left or on the white space on the right when a key is selected. You can't miss it as it will be the only option in the menu that appears.)

Thing is.. I'd LIKE TO KNOW. So how about you do me a favor and do the following:

If you are currently running Vista, open regedit and go here: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

Then show me what each of the four views look like. (That's if you have them all. If one or more of them are missing, just say so. Knowing that is just as valuable as knowing what's there.) To see what I mean, check out the attached screenshots. My hope is that this thread will serve those who run into the same problem in the future, and to help those people find this thread easier, let me include some "tags" that hopefully, Google will pick up when it indexes this thread: exe fix problem file association set vista registry

The point of all this is to find out what the EXE entry in the registry looks like by default. Once we know that, fixing this issue should be a piece of cake.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 04:06 AM by moerl »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
FYI, the "hex" part in "exefile"=hex(0) means "binary value", but most MS apps tend to support binary, dword, string for a lot of registry entries.

Weird that Vista allows you to change something that crucial that easily - I don't even get an "open with" on XP, even if I shift+rightclick my EXEs. On the other hand, I do have WinRAR context menu items if it detects the exe has a supported archive type embedded... but I digress, sorry.
- carpe noctem

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Weird that Vista allows you to change something that crucial that easily - I don't even get an "open with" on XP, even if I shift+rightclick my EXEs. On the other hand, I do have WinRAR context menu items if it detects the exe has a supported archive type embedded... but I digress, sorry.

I run XP and I have 'open with' for .exe files on my menu:

SNAG-0203.png

But I do agree that it's pretty stupid that any version of Windows would allow you to change the association for .exe files.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Perhaps this is a security hole? Imagina a program that can run with all exe files, look for specific information, and then run the .exe file as normal. You'd never notice.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
Perhaps this is a security hole? Imagina a program that can run with all exe files, look for specific information, and then run the .exe file as normal. You'd never notice.
Trojans have done similar things in the past... not a very hard thing to detect, really.
- carpe noctem

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Actually, that has happened to me before, but for folders. The folders just wouldn't open. I fixed it through (in windows explorer) tools-> folder options -> file types. I can't find .exe there, though.

Also, on xp pro sp2, i have no "open with" for executables.
Cool, i had never noticed that.
Looks like MS is pretty smart sometimes ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
shouldn't this topic be titled:

"Your chance to contribute to the betterment of the world for Moerl" ?  :P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Holy! Changing file associations for EXE files! That's just craziness!
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Holy! Changing file associations for EXE files! That's just craziness!
My thoughts exactly.. wasn't fun.