ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

correction of distorted grid in image ??

<< < (2/3) > >>

lanux128:
if you use PhotoFiltre, there are tools within the program to do this trick..

One of the most annoying things in a great landscape or coastline photo can be a crooked or titled horizon.  PhotoFiltre can solve this problem in no time.
--- End quote ---

check out the tutorial: http://frontpagesolutions.com/photofiltre/s/06/index.htm

tomos:
thanks lanux,

Photofiltre looks quite nice

I have Photoshop 5.5, the first decent version I think, but never bothered upgrading cause 
1) I happy with it &
2) dont use it enough to justify the money

so I'll have a look at Photofiltre
Just downloaded the new PaintdotNet 3 as well

also want to try panoramatools, think there might be something there, see tutorial:
http://www.magicpixel.com.au/tutorials/photoshop/ptperspective.cfm

geektechnu:
If you have Photoshop, manual perspective correction is very easy.

1) Turn on the grid (Ctrl+') - you can customize the grid in Photoshop's preferences.
2) Make a rectangular selection around the object to correct.
3) Switch to free-transform mode (Ctrl+T).
4) Hold down Ctrl and start dragging the corner transform handles.
5) When happy with the result, press Enter.

tomos:
If you have Photoshop, manual perspective correction is very easy.

1) Turn on the grid (Ctrl+') - you can customize the grid in Photoshop's preferences.
2) Make a rectangular selection around the object to correct.
3) Switch to free-transform mode (Ctrl+T).
4) Hold down Ctrl and start dragging the corner transform handles.
5) When happy with the result, press Enter.
-geektechnu (February 23, 2007, 04:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

problem is the distortion is very irregular -
instead of having a straight line, I often have a wavey line - the distortion is not correctable by a simple transform/skew/straighten up the edges of image/solution, or even by correction of curved line to straight line (which way lens correction software works)

For the moment I've given up following the options mentioned above (time pressure  :( )
But,
I have found a relatively simple solution to current problem - I'm tracing/copying (vector) these dodgy scans, so, I overlay a 1cm grid - same as what original was drawn on.
They dont match due to the distortion, so as I move around the image I shift the scan so it lines up with the overlaid grid. Relatively easy & relatively accurate to boot.

But I'm happy to have found out about, or be reminded of -
Photofiltre
PanoramaTools
& another recommended by Tony:
"squirlz lite" from  http://www.xiberpix.com/index.html (freeware)

I imagine my idea while seeming simple to me initially would prob in actuality be very difficult to make (software would need to be able to recognise grid on image & not to mix it up with actual drawing & then to correct it to boot)

nudone:
have you got an example image that we can experiment with - there might be a solution but it requires a bit of serendipity to find it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version