topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: needed: tool to sync two HDs/folders  (Read 7422 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
needed: tool to sync two HDs/folders
« on: February 13, 2007, 06:59 AM »
Hi,

I need a (free if possible) tool to sync my HD - or really just several folders, including subfolders (from C: and D:) - to my backup HD that I just connect every now and then.

Is there a smart tool that has no problem with some of the source folders being written to while running? (i.e. it should just copy what it finds in that moment and not care over more changes after that moment)

Over the years I saw a few of these programs, but since I never needed one before... your help is appreciated!

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: needed: tool to sync two HDs/folders
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 08:29 AM »
Sounds like you don't need bi-directional syncing, but handling locked files is critical.

I know just the (free) program for you: HoboCopy http://www.pluralsig.../Craig/HoboCopy.html

What is HoboCopy?

HoboCopy is a backup/copy tool. It is inspired by robocopy in both name and in functionality. It differs greatly from robocopy, however, in two respects:

1. It is not as full-featured as robocopy.
   2. It uses the Volume Shadow Service (VSS) to "snapshot" the disk before copying. It then copies from the snapshot rather than the "live" disk.

Why Does HoboCopy Use the Volume Shadow Service?

Because HoboCopy copies from a VSS snapshot, it is able copy even files that are locked by some other program. Further, certain programs (such as SQL Server 2005) are VSS-aware, and will write their state to disk in a consistent state before the snapshot is taken, allowing a sort of "live backup". Files locked by VSS-unaware programs will still be copied in a "crash consistent" state (i.e. whatever happens to be on the disk). This is generally a lot better than not being able to copy the file at all.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 09:10 AM »
Thanks! In this case I might even spend some money for a tool with a nice GUI (to show progress, to most easily specify folders), so if you know something like that please feel free to mention it!
 8)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 09:20 AM »
You've looked at this?
SyncToy 1.4 for Windows Vista is available as a free download from the Microsoft Download Center. The easy to use, customizable application helps you copy, move, rename, and delete files between folders and computers.
http://www.microsoft...7&displaylang=en
Not sure about locked file behaviour...

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 10:52 AM »
Total Commander (www.ghisler.com) has a really impressive sync feature.  If you always sync the same folders, you might also look at SyncbackSE (http://www.2brightsp...ck/syncback-hub.html), which is supposed to backup open files.
.merle1.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 11:34 AM »
SyncBackSE should do it.
You can set it up so it backs up whenever you change/add/remove a file, so the synch'ing is realtime.

Also, office 2007 comes with Groove, a tool for collaboration that can do that and other tricks.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 11:54 AM »
I agree with the SyncBackSE recommendation.  It's an easy, flexible, and very well supported backup solution.

However, if you want to go with the free SyncBack version, you can get it to back up open files (on WinXP or later) using VSS if you're willing to do a bit of work.

Take a look at the support forum thread:  http://2brightsparks...viewtopic.php?t=2801

There's information on using some tools made available by an MS blogger for scripting VSS volume shadows.  You can use those scripts to get a shadow started before a backup and stopped after the backup.  Voila - backup open files.  These scripts should be able to work with most any backup solution as long as you can get the backup to run scripts (or have the backup started by a script), not just SyncBack freeware.  They're by no means straight-forward or easy to set up, but they're free.