ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apologese - I will be offline for a while ...

<< < (5/8) > >>

f0dder:
In Denmark, when online shopping, there's a 14-day no-questions-asked full return warranty, since you haven't had a chance to "check it out before buying", no questions asked. Product still needs to be in decent condition though. This does mean that I could buy a harddrive, use it temporarily for saving some data, and then return it. Dunno if that goes for software too, and shops wouldn't be happy if you did it often I guess :)

On top of that, there's a 1-year (or was it changed to 2-year?) warranty against the "I didn't do anything but it stopped working" flaws. Which of course doesn't cover spilling coffee into a laptop, but it does cover a motherboard that suddenly stops working. Might require filling a RMA and waiting a bit, though.

Carol Haynes:
Hi f0dder,

there's a 14-day no-questions-asked full return warranty
--- End quote ---

Actually this is true throughout the EU as it is part of EU consumer law. However the minimum time allowed throughout the EU is 7 days (but I suppose some countries may increase that minimum) and lot's of sellers extend this to 28 or 30 days (though they don't have to). After the 'free return' period you are deemed to have accepted the goods and then any warranty is between you and the manufacturer - not the supplier unless the supplier is used to manage the warranty.

It covers any product at all that you buy mail order. In the UK they are called the "Distance Selling Regulations". See http://www.oft.gov.uk/Business/Legal/DSR/default.htm for full details of what is and is not covered - interestingly even gift voucher purchases are covered.

There is an exception however for software, CDs and DVDs ... you can only return them if the seals/packaging is unopened - so you can't 'try before you buy' with these items or copy them.

By the way I am now back up and running .... new mobo bought from DABs - even including next day/saturday delivery the total was less than overclockers.co.uk before VAT and basic shipping! Presumably over the next few weeks the warranty replacement will arrive - but at least I have proved it wasn't other components in my system that caused a problem!

nudone:
good to hear you are up and running with the machine.

Carol Haynes:
Spoke too soon ... I am really cross with someone (not sure who though).

My original mobo arrived back today with a note saying they can't find any fault with it. It cost me over £18 (~$35) to post it back under warranty but they claim when they tested it everything was fine. Not only that they are charging me a £10 inspection fee plus return shipping plus tax for the privilege.

Anyone any ideas how to proceed now? I seem to have a mobo that was definitely dead when I posted it to them (I had spent a day and a half fiddling with every possible combo of components, even those from another system and it wouldn't POST no matter what I did - in fact there was no video output or even a beep when it was switched on). The new mobo is using all the same components and works fine.

Trouble is if it is an intermittent fault I could end up stuck with a lemon that plays up at home but tests in the workshop and I am really stuck as to what to do next.

What I have done is written a really snotty email complaining that they didn't follow their own procedure (which was to contact me before returning an item that wasn't found defective) and so I am not prepared to pay anything since the problem is effectively unresolved and now can't be without me spending another $35 to return it to them. Basically I have told them if they make a charge on my credit card I will report them to my card company as I have not authorised any transaction and didn't supply credit card details for the purpose - they only have my card details as it is stored in my account for website purchases. Should I approach my credit card company for a refund on the original purchase on the grounds that the item is 'not fit for purpose' ?

mouser:
Trouble is if it is an intermittent fault I could end up stuck with a lemon that plays up at home but tests in the workshop and I am really stuck as to what to do next.
--- End quote ---

Many of us have suffered from this situation - can be truly painful.  We had a vcr like this back in the day when vcrs were expensive.  each time we brought it in it seemed to work for them.. Eventually, and i'm not recommending this, we took an electrical cord and just burnt out some of the components on the board. It was the only way we could figure out to get them to repair this broken device..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version