topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SourceForge - can we have some more clicks please  (Read 4897 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
SourceForge - can we have some more clicks please
« on: August 21, 2005, 05:20 PM »
as much as i love sourceforge, i think the following would make it much better:

i think 10 or 20 clicks to download the files from a sourceforge project is not enough.  i think it would be much funner if i had to click 50 or even 100 links to download a project's files.

also id like to see the search engine further crippled - how about you can only specify the letters you want in your searches, but not actual words.

also lets make the forums show posts in a random order.

and also lets make it more of a mystery whether a project is real or just a fantasy idea - make it so that you have to wait 5 minutes before sf will tell you the project has no files or homepage and exists only in someones imagination.

i offer these suggestions because clearly sourceforge is looking for ways to make their fantastic service less usable.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SourceForge - can we have some more clicks please
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 07:54 PM »
I've often wondered what madman created those pages. They're impossible to track using something like Website-Watcher, too.

vrgrrl

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 12:17 PM »
lol. i think mouser's onto something with his list of suggestions for making websites more, uh, challenging. yes, that's the word i was looking for. after all, when we look at trying to improve the usability of games, we have to make sure we don't wipe out the challenge factor. because challenge, done right, equals FUN! maybe all software should be concerned with that. i mean imagine making excel more "fun" by adding more challenge!

on a random but somewhat related note, i wish that authors of papers would let us know if their academic papers are actually published somewhere or are really just "thoughts in progress" -- i'm sick of looking for papers in journals that have never been published...

mouser? any idea about how we can cite "thoughts in progress" using your best friend procite? ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 02:12 PM »
you can cite it any way you want - the real question is what the publisher will let you include in the bibliography.

i guess it would fall under the same type of citation as "personal communication with author" except in this case maybe
"personal communication between author and the internet" ;)