topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 8:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Clipboard a la Clipmarks?  (Read 3717 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Clipboard a la Clipmarks?
« on: February 10, 2007, 01:08 PM »
I came across the add-on for Firefox and Internet Explorer, Clipmarks, and was fascinated: this clipping tool is smart! I have installed it, but not yet tried it, because of the "register before use"-demand. I fear that the service may be all about getting my e-mail address and tracking what's attaching my interest on the net..??

3: Selecting the piece(s) you want to clip
While in clip mode, when you move your mouse around the page you will see orange lines surround pieces of the page.

When the orange lines surround a piece of the page you want, click inside the lines to clip that piece. You'll see the area turn green and say "Clipped".

You can clip as many pieces of the page as you like. You can even clip from multiple pages and save it all in one clipmark (more on that here).

I'll think it can be done even smarter, but it already is smart. The problem, as I see it, is that this is all layed out to be some community sharing feature (so they can get many addresses and tracks..??). Maybe I can choose to save the clip on my PC, they give a hint that this is possible, but it certainly is not a feature they are promoting. But if I'm not into sharing my clips on some Internet community, why then would I register?

But I would very much like the features from Clipmarks to be on my PC - without the 'community' part... Could this be a new task for the authors at DC??

Did you try Clipmarks, and have a say about it??

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Clipboard a la Clipmarks?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 07:59 PM »
no i never try Clipmarks, i use Evernote and Scrapbook,

http://www.evernote....n/products/evernote/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/427/

both save to the hd, for evernote you need to install the extension for firefox.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 08:17 PM »
As with Google Notebook you decide if clips are private or public. Sharing not a requirement. Read their policy, blog http://www.clipmarks.com/privacy-policy/ http://clipmarks.wordpress.com/ Search for experiences. No need to sit and wait for disaster - or expect disaster. Nothing indicates they are evil. Works pretty well. When they first appeared someone said it was a cool idea but must be hard to keep up interest for the community part - I agree though site is nicely build. Has improved a lot, Digg-like but clips? All I can say is I dont feel a great need to use Clipmarks but works ok.

Recently I think Google changed default setting with their Notebook from public to private. Turned out some people saved bank account etc. in public/indexed/searchable Notebooks! Same with Google Calendar, share or not is up to you.

Google Notebook is less flashy so may be try it out. Latest version is more useful than old, now easier to organize and work with during "noting". Something about being able to pop out collection window, a little new arrow do that. You will see.

Alternative to Evernote, Scrapbook which only works for Firefox is Net Snippets http://www.netsnippe....com/basic/index.htm

I read something about Yahoo/Flickr investigating what colors people react to - part of profiling. And Google knows everything already :) If you keep personal/important data locally I dont think you need to worry. To worry about them getting your Gmail Address (of course you have more than one and use a special for sign-ups right?) is wasted time. Being careful about content like treating personal info differently than "public" is just good sense, always think about that. Same goes for local computer, if I stole yours tomorrow what will I get/learn? Encryption and similar thoughts of storageing sensitive info is way to go. Worst scenario with Clipmarks is they close down and you lose all content! Good idea to check if service is steaming ahead before signing up.

Also remember they could not care less about you, you are not interesting as a person. We are all simple IPs/advertising targets in the eyes of machinery. Perhaps some services are interested in your money/plastic card, encouraging you to sign up for "Pro" type of account. That is all. If you cant keep hands off the goodies and still dont trust "them" then spread wings. Use some Yahoo, some Google, some Clipmarks etc. Harder to profile worlds most interesting person unless of course there is a master service we dont know about yet, heh. Profiling for what purpose btw? Be careful not to exaggerate risk because of Big Brother/what if? lingo. If profiling is not used for evil but necessary advertising it is part of the service, like Google learning spelling mistakes and suggest more "intelligently" the more you use it - and of course "manipulating" search results based on my history. Probably also about advertising in the end.

Anti-phishing feature in Firefox/IE7 is nice right? You are aware each and every url is sent MS/Google? You think solution is to disable? Your ISP already has same info. Talking about profiling makes you dizzy... You end up frustrated, unplugging computer from internet so dont and definitly laugh at email harvesting. Gmail even have great spam filter should Clipmarks decide to sell addresses to spammers.

[...personal info removed by moderator..]

Online identity matching real one is perhaps something to think about, must be if you are scared on behalf of email address. Actually you should go "Whatever, come get me" I hope you do.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:49 AM by mouser »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 07:35 AM »

So Curt is 49 years old
Actually you should go "Whatever, come get me"- I hope you do.
Did you have to include my age...?  :-[
Just kidding  :P

This 'reveal' reminded me of the words by Jesus:
(Luke 12:3) 

So then whatever you have said in the dark
   will be heard in the light,
and what you have whispered in private rooms
   will be proclaimed from the housetops.

I din't make myself very clear in the first post (either): I will never use ClipMarks for uploading - sharing or private. I just want a program to make smart clips to save on my PC.

I will have a look on the various apps mentioned. Thanks!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 08:06 AM »
Too late Curt, game over :) I think I will make a Google Alert for your initial profile (more to come!). Just by using information provided by yourself ...
Reminded me of the time some years ago when I wrote the owner of some private site. The owner liked my words, and published both my e-mail and my e-mail address!

So now I am a spamfighter...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 08:10 AM by Curt »