ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Rebuilding My Laptop

<< < (2/2)

Darwin:
Win2k will sing on 512MB RAM. I just gave my dad my old P-IIIE 600mhz notebook with 512MB RAM and Win2k. It blows away my WinXP Pro Centrino notebook (1.4Ghz) with a gig of RAM in a lot of ways. PaintShopPro loads more quickly, it boots faster, etc. I upgraded that notebook from 64 to 128 to 512 MB RAM but the biggest performance boost came AFTER I upgraded the RAM to 512 - I installed a 20GB harddrive and put Win2k on it instead of Win98SE. The difference was profound. That 7 year old Compaq is still going strong, albeit with an 80GB harddrive...

Darwin:
Sorry Tinjaw. Just noted your comment above about not being in a position to buy more RAM to solve your problem. Obviously, unless you have a copy of Win2k my comments above are not really useful  :-[.

tinjaw:
I've got copies of Windows from 95 upward. I need WinXP on there because I need to develop my software to work on WinXP.

Darwin,

I think I need to steal your avatar and put a tin jaw on him. :-)

Darwin:
upgraded that notebook from 64 to 128 to 512 MB RAM but the biggest performance boost came AFTER I upgraded the RAM to 512 - I installed a 20GB harddrive and put Win2k on it instead of Win98SE. The difference was profound.
--- End quote ---

Cripes! This is gibberish and it's too late to edit the original as the thread has moved ahead -who will read the edit  :-[

I meant to say, and hope it was implied anyway, that I had Win98SE running with 128MB of RAM and didn't notice much of a difference when I upgraded to 512MB RAM. When I upgraded Win98SE to Win2k, it was like I had put my notebook on nitrous...

tinjaw - the avatar is Amud 1 from Israel. A Neanderthal male. Might look good with a tin jaw! Too bad Win2k won't work for you. I'm dithering about installing it on my next notebook as the only XP discs I have are OEM and no doubt the next notebook will be Vista. I'd like to be able to dual boot it, just in case...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version