topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 11:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DC Toolbar...  (Read 5460 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DC Toolbar...
« on: February 10, 2007, 04:44 AM »
Where to find a safe customize-able toolbar with whistles, bells and the lot?

I have been heavily warned about my toolbar from Conduit. The case should be that though it is offering what I want, it also seems to be offering what I don't want: false results, adds and so on. I don't use it for searching, but why accept the threat? It does seem to be spying on me to some minor degree, because whenever I write in IE's search box, the words will display in Conduit's search box as well. But so far I have not bothered to see if it is transmitting my queries.

Do you know of a "safe customize-able toolbar with whistles, bells and the lot?"

Or could this even be a new (big) job for the authors at Donationcoder? A DC toolbar? What do you think of it, mouser: Do you have a need for a better and safer toolbar, or am I the only one?

1.png

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DC Toolbar...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 05:26 AM »
Another more customizable browser perhaps? Personally I prefer Opera, but Firefox is an excellent alternative as well.

Or is there any particular reason why you use IE? Maybe one of the IE-"front ends" is better, such as Maxthon or AvantBrowser. (Note: I have no experience with either of these two, but they seem quite popular)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 06:08 AM »
Another more customizable browser perhaps? Personally I prefer Opera, but Firefox is an excellent alternative as well.

Or is there any particular reason why you use IE? Maybe one of the IE-"front ends" is better, such as Maxthon or AvantBrowser. (Note: I have no experience with either of these two, but they seem quite popular)

You can have a lot more add-ons for Internet Explorer than for any other browser. The reason so many have been deluded to think this isn't the case, may be that the extensions for Firefox / Opera / Maxthon are to be found at one place, making it look like there are so many. There are ten times as many extensions for IE - but they are to be found at thousands of different sites.

But of course IE is not as easy to customize.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 06:11 AM by Curt »

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 11:00 PM »
You mean a DC toolbar only useful for DC members and this site right? That was what I hinted might be a useful idea - for you to make with Conduit toolbar generator ;) Easy enough and a place like DC is just what they target.

Anyway, if we agree on a DC only bar that would be up to Mouser since he put name on the thing. So toolbar could enhance navigation for example, have menus for chosen subjects/parts of site and what not. All that is already available though fully customizable menu system (xml files) probably is hard to implement on site, could be done. Chat? also done. Sending out messages/ticker lines? What is wrong with email? I think a DC bar should do what Conduit encourage - promotion/exposure/marketing, revenue making. So Mouse should jump the wagon and think creatively on how-to make money - not that easy!

Some dont like toolbars at all, some dont like Conduit (which used to be Effectivebrand). But bar is optional, should of course not replace functionality of site like you have to get link to this crazy deal by installing toolbar. About Conduit they are also innocent until proven guilty when it comes to accusations - still offer 5000$, http://www.conduit.c...fiedSpywareFree.aspx Clever wording ("unless expressly required by its function") but still...

Why or why not you see clearly from this Techcrunch post http://www.techcrunc...r-about-conduit-yet/ especially from the comments. Typcial that one claims most of them are Israelis or from Conduit. Part of Conduit fanboys are spamking types, will do whatever it takes - check their forum. Wishful thinking but this idea of getting rich through a toolbar any idiot can make is just so cool! ;)

http://www.besttoolbars.net/ or http://www.besttoolb...s.net/featuresen.php might be the way to go, as one of the comments say why let Conduit in on sharing revenue? and no questioning of clickstats being sent to HQ in Israel. Does not matter they are harmless, some will not install bar because of this. Sooner than later someone will ask Mouse why he endorse and make money off spyware? - will happen, good luck explaining. Like Freeware vs. true Freeware or similar hopeless fights.

If you also think Conduit stuff looks very similar to Besttoolbar there are 2 of us. I think they have licensed code from them.

You can access toolbar properties (to read or write) via JavaScript and also pass this information to the server in response to the user clicking a button or menu item in the toolbar. Properties available from JavaScript include current version of the toolbar, Unique Toolbar ID, User ID that you can set/read, user name and user password primary aimed to implement authentication through the toolbar, toolbar settings and configuration. The current URL and current domain that the user has open in their browser are also accessible.

Oh yeah, except Conduit deny to have any interest in urls :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 11:08 PM by dk70 »

Conduit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 10:08 AM »
Hi,
My name is Guy and I'm the Product Manager of Conduit.

A few things came up in this thread that I'd like to address:

First of all, our solution definitely does NOT contain any form of malware and we are entirely open about how our toolbar behaves (it's actually quite easy to sniff the network traffic and see exactly what it does). I can assure you that we stand 100% behind this claim and take pride in the fact that our toolbars are entirely safe to use.

Our solution lets you easily create your own custom toolbar for both IE and Firefox while giving you full control over how to configure your toolbar and what content to put in it.

Our company is not related to besttoolbars in any way.

For those who are interested in how we make money: our business model is based on monetizing search traffic through the search box. This revenue funds our operation and lets us provide this service free of charge.

Feel free let me know if you have any questions about Conduit.

Thanks,
Guy

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 12:46 PM »
Well if interested Im sure the ADM of this site will check out conditions before announcing any bar. Ive also not seen any meat on spyware claims but problem could be content of some toolbars falls back on Conduit? Besides the toolbar hate some have - only confirmed by you not exactly hiding the idea of "increasing revenue" ;) If you have read a bit on Mozilla forums you will know money plays a big part in arguments against Conduit, like having them on Add-on site. Many assumed ANY toolbar is a money machine by default, making "wrong" people rich. Exploiting Mozilla and taking advantage of innocent Firefox users (who cant think for them self)... Google use "Maximize your revenue" btw. http://www.google.com/intl/en/services/ Now Google is default search engine and there are restrictions because of that may be perception of Conduit will change. Google approval is always a good sign and who can say Google money is not good money?

No I can see buying license to Besttoolbars would increase options many times but yours could be licensed code from them - or inspired. Conduit appear to be light version of Besttoolbar. Easier and partly why it is free. I wonder how many are aware of the featureset those bars have and also if makers give information about all bar does!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 01:23 PM »
http://www.besttoolb...s.net/featuresen.php might be the way to go,
This is High Tech!!

Conduit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 02:39 AM »
Conduit is not related to Besttoolbars in any way. We have not licensed any code from them and we have never even been in contact with them.

When we say "maximize your revenue" it means that by offering a toolbar to your community you can maximize the revenue that your site is generating. By offering a toolbar you will increase traffic back to your site and increase user engagement which will translate into more revenues for you, depending on how you already monetize the traffic to your site(Adsense, banners, affiliates...).

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 08:00 PM »