Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 25, 2014, 05:09:08 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Why AJAX is Preferred for RIAs over Java  (Read 4973 times)
KenR
Super
Blogger

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 09, 2007, 09:23:13 PM »

Here's an informative discussion of why AJAX is preferred for this issue.

Several of Bruce Tate’s books focused on the flaws in Java and the need to let go of some of the ideas that haven’t worked out. And blogs like this and this have been appearing more frequently. And of course there’s Steve Jobs now-famous quote (referring to the iPhone): “Java’s not worth building in. Nobody uses Java anymore. It’s this big heavyweight ball and chain.”
This backlash has only been necessary because of Sun’s death grip on the idea of ubiquitous, omniscient Java. It was admirable once, but a language only evolves if its designers and advocates can acknowledge problems. Pretending that a language is successful in places where it’s not is just denial.
Some adaptations have occurred. Finally admitting that EJBs have cost the world enormously, the EJB3 team...

from www.slashdot.org

Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 09:30:57 PM »

This is actually a nice long interesting articles on some of the shortcomings of Java and why it didnt take over the web like many expected.

ps. RIA stands for "Rich Internet Applications"
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 03:03:04 AM »

The article recommends Flex:
http://www.flex.org/
urlwolf
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 03:54:04 AM »

Hmm, very convincing. Downloading flex now...
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 05:08:48 AM »

SUN made many mistakes - imho one of them was to force MS to remove their JVM from Windows, especially since they couldn't produce one that was as fast and lightweight.

- carpe noctem
wuwei23
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 08:43:02 PM »

I'm really looking forward to Adobe's Apollo:

"Apollo is a cross-OS runtime that allows developers to leverage their existing web development skills (Flash, Flex, HTML, Ajax) to build and deploy desktop RIA’s."
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 08:45:59 PM by wuwei23 » Logged
iphigenie
Supporting Member

curiosity FTW!

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 06:16:46 AM »

I was puzzled by how the flex framework needs java - it's especially ironic considering this article kind of says "flash beats ajax beats java as a web UI" (which it does)
urlwolf
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 09:52:56 PM »

It needs java on the server, and only if you want to use the fancy serialization (binary objects going through the pipes).

That's where they plan to make money (I think).

If you want to do the standard MySQL on the server, then you need to do XML pushups (parsing XML in both client and server).

BTW, http://iscrybe.com/main/index.php, the super-duper organizer that will rule them all and has the fanciest calendar, seems to be flex. It makes sense that it can go  off line just fine.
housetier
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 12:24:59 PM »

People might also want to look into OpenLaszlo:

OpenLaszlo is an open source platform for creating zero-install web applications with the user interface capabilities of desktop client software.

OpenLaszlo programs are written in XML and JavaScript and transparently compiled to Flash and (...) DHTML.

On the server side you need a Java Servlet Container such as tomcat. Programs are compiled and displayed either by flash or dhtml (=AJAX). LZPIX is an impressive demo.

I am currently trying to write a complete IRC client "in Laszlo". We shall see how it'll turn out smiley
tinjaw
Supporting Member

I'm so glad breakbeat techno isn't an illegal drug

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 08:05:20 AM »

I played with Open Lazlo a bit. I liked what I saw. If you don't know already, there is an eclipse plugin to do Lazlo GUIs.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.043s | Server load: 0.22 ]