ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

CPU Usage shoots up to 100% !?!

<< < (2/7) > >>

f0dder:
Well, WinRAR does use up some CPU cycles, especially while compressing. Decompression is fairly fast, but then again - your box is more than fairly slow. Also, "wherestigger" sounds like a game, and most games will appear to use 100% CPU because of the way game messageloops are  coded.

lanux128:
btw, when the CPU usage goes up to 100%, the PC alternates between freezes and becoming super-slow.. :tellme:

f0dder:
Could you check device manager->IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, have a look at the settings for your IDE channels, and tell us whether your devices are set to DMA or PIO modes?

lanux128:
f0dder, i've already checked it & they're all in some Ultra-DMA mode, which is good, i think.. anyway, i'm going to format & reinstall the whole thing.. i'm getting a bit too old to be chasing after random system instabilities.. :D

f0dder:
Yeah, UltraDMA is what you want - if they were in PIO mode, just about any disk activity would slow your system to a crawl... even if it was a much beefier system than what you have.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version