ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Word Processor Roundup

3rd Party Tools like Bibliography Addins

<< < (3/5) > >>

Darwin:
Wow. This an interesting development - thanks for letting us know rrosenzw. I'm off to check it out.

urlwolf:
Anyone has made this zotero plugin work for Word 2007?

zridling:
Since a bibliography plugin/add-in is not a word processor, I won't include them in the review, and in fact, its complexity begs a mini-review or review unto itself. I do know that Word 2007's citation feature was perhaps the most debated topic for its beta. We all wanted it to work like EndNote, since its UI made so much sense. But once again, Microsoft went off and did its own thing, reinvented it, and immediately ran into a lot of problems which never got fixed. Microsoft did not understand the importance of this feature to the adoption of Word 2007, in my opinion, as they discarded virtually every suggestion and offer for help. So I urge others NOT to depend on the citation feature in Word 2007. OpenOffice's Base can be used for the same purpose, but you have to build it to suit your fields. You can also customize the layout in OpenOffice's Bibliography Database feature. Some academic departments have written plugin forms for OpenOffice, however.

Another consideration to building such an app would be that the various fields are constantly shifting and updating their formats every 3-5 years. Such a project would require a team to keep up with the changes and implement them, creating a huge time sink.

Laughing Man:
This is the first I've heard (well not first I've heard of built in) of bibliography addins for Word Processors. I'm just use to getting the citations from the library (they offer you a email version or a endcite/procite version..granted you have to correct it so it's in APA style for it to be any use to me).

Anyway, I should take a look at it. Granted, I still prefer copying and pasting the citation (then fixing it to APA style) rather then inputting the info by hand. ;)

rjbull:
Probably not the kind of industrial-strength GUI you're looking for, but from Eric Pemente's AWK page:

# endnote.txt  - This is a really helpful file for people who write documents in plain ASCII (like Emacs or vim users!), and who want to insert footnotes or endnotes in their documents, but who want to be able to move their footnotes all around without renumbering everything. Basically, you use references like this[##] in your text, putting the actual citation (Dante, Book 3, sect. 2) directly below the paragraph. Rearrange the document to your heart's delight. When you're all finished, use this script  to sequentially number all your references, gather your notes together, and print them at the end of the file with numbers corresponding to the in-text references. Totally cool. Eric Meyer thought of it, and I wrote it for both awk and perl.

The same script is also available in perl if you'd rather.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version