ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Word Processor Roundup

3rd Party Tools like Bibliography Addins

(1/5) > >>

mouser:
Another important point is that some of us use addings like a bibliography tool (EndNote or Procite), which only work on MS Word.
I know that they have some bibliography funcitons built in, but I rely on my bibliography tool so much for academic papers that i wouldnt even consider switching away from MS until it was ported..

urlwolf:
I spent half my day today just checking that.
I'm stuck with endNote6, and if I want to work with word 2007 I need to buy endNote X (with enote being a product that I hate after v. 7, they made it worse!)
One tool that I have found that works with OOo is bibus:
bibus-biblio.sourceforge.net/

I could move to OO and have a portable setup if that worked.
However, my conclusion is that Bibus has problems that make it unsuitable right now:
   No people et al. (2006):
   No prefix, suffix (e.g. blah, 2006) or (blah, 2006, p. 201)
   No backwards compatible with endnote (all my papers have endNote inserts!)

Other than that it seems like a nice solution. If I was starting from scratch, this would be a contender.

Plus, Zotero is working on word integration, that'd be the end of endNote in my view! Not a good time to pay for a newer verision of endNote!

mouser:
i once considered making a free high powered bibliog tool to replace endnote.. someone should.  but it's a major job. it's something that in a rational society universities would band together and fund.

Darwin:
According to their website, TextMaker has a built in bib feature... I use Endnote X myself. Endnote 5 (which was the previous version that I used) used to ship with a WordPerfect plug-in, but this is not the case with later versions (not sure when they dropped it). X supports a host of Wordprocessors via RTF formatting but only supports Word for CWYW (Cite while you write).

From the helpfile in Endnote X.02:

Use Format Paper (formerly called RTF Document Scan) to cite references and create bibliographies for documents that can be saved as RTF, including documents created with:

Microsoft® Word

WordPerfect®

OpenOffice

Adobe® FrameMaker®

StarOffice™

Microsoft® Works

WordPad

Almost any application that can
save as RTF (Rich Text Format)

To format references and create a bibliography (Cite While You Write) with Microsoft Word 2000, XP, or 2003, see How to Cite While You Write. While you can use the Format Paper feature to format Word files, it is much easier and more efficient to use Cite While You Write.

--- End quote ---

Darwin:
Mouser, if you did code a bib package and made it a reasonable price you'd be a hero! If you made it donationware as defined at donationcoder you'd be a God! Given that you're a ProCite user yourself (if memory serves), you already know what people are looking for in this kind of application. I suspect that you haven't done it already because it's a big, big job, but just thought I'd add a note of support for the idea   :Thmbsup: I meant to mention it in my above post, but overlooked doing so...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version