ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Word Processor Roundup

Outlining

<< < (3/3)

urlwolf:
hmm,
I don't know why but oneNote outlines don't really translate into word outlines (with Heading 1, 2, etc). Surprising considering that interoperability is really big at MS.

zridling:
Good points, since I'm an outlining freak. The best, of course, was Ecco Pro. But since its demise, the best to come along was Microsoft OneNote. Each tab in OneNote will hold about 60,000 words, and while they don't convert well inside of Word (ironic!), they do convert pretty accurately everywhere else using copy and paste. Inevitably, if you're going to use a word processor's outlining feature to outline a complex document, you'd probably be better off outlining it using another app and building your document using Master documents to gain more control over editing and its ultimate form.

TomColvin:
I'm very late into this thread, but the remark by alxwz about power outliners lacking footnoting capability prompts me to write.  The new version 7.04 of Biblioscape comes close to your needs.  Unlike most bibliographic software, which bundles reference info and note-taking on the same form, Biblioscape separates the two.  There is the Reference Pane and the Notes Pane, which can be linked.  The Notes section is essentially a 3-pane note-taker.  Hierarchical tree on the left, which can approximate an outline, a list of notes at the top right and the full note in the bottom pane.  Linking notes to references, an easy task, allows full power over footnoting.

Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version