topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: KISS  (Read 7760 times)

zxcvbn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Strandlife
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
KISS
« on: February 09, 2007, 06:28 AM »
Thank you for the review.

I have used the Microsoft products in the past (Office 97) and Word Perfect before that.  I am currently on Open Office.  This is quite satisfactory, but slow to load.  My main gripe with all these (and I am hesitant about mentioning this in such august company  ;)) is that they all do wonderful things which I don't need.

Power Point, Access and Drawing programmes, or their equivalents are superfluous to my requirements.  Recently Clif Notes nesletter mentioned a free programme called <a href="http://www.jarte.com/">Jarte</a> which I am currently trying out.  It seems to do all that I need to do (including spell checking), and fires up instantly.

Will you be covering this sort of programme in your later reviews - or are you falling about laughing at me ?   :(
zxcvbn

alxwz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: KISS
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 08:58 AM »
This somehow reminds me of another "alternative" word processor called "Yeah Write" (shareware) that uses a drawer metaphor instead of opening/saving and a tabbed interface to make things easier:
http://www.yeahwrite.com

OTOH, it adds stuff like an address book, fax and email interfaces, that's not an essential necessity.
Not sure if this program is developed anymore, or if they're only after some revenue from the annoying ads on their homepage.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: KISS
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 09:18 PM »
Not a bad suggestion, but there are a few of these RTF programs around, some of which are quite good. However, you may come to see by Part 3 that online processors will make these programs obsolete. They can open and save to a variety of formats, have simple interfaces, and have the advantage of online storage and sharing. Oh, and they're free if that counts.