topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Political (I apologise now) - but funny ...  (Read 5737 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Political (I apologise now) - but funny ...
« on: August 20, 2005, 07:16 AM »
Funniest thing I have seen for ages ...

http://politicalhumo...lair_endlesslove.mov

randiroo76073

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Political (I apologise now) - but funny ...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 05:45 AM »
Good one Carol, if it wasn't for politicians who would we have left to poke fun at  :)
Randy
98se/sp2/982ME/Revolutions 2.1
Firefox/Kmeleon
ASUS-A7V400MX,AMD-2400+Sempron,1gb-Kingston ddr2700

Some ask Y, I say Ynot!

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 08:20 PM »
I know you guys mean well, but please understand how these posts are out of context on this site. They miss their mark because visitors don't come to DCC ready to defend their political convictions, but rather to discuss and argue software and its impact on us. Political blogs are everywhere, and some have the smartest, most clever people behind them — not to mention their comment sections — which I also enjoy. However, as a fellow DCC member, I'm asking you tactfully to share these thoughts on content-appropriate blogs and forums rather than here.

I have nothing to do with the administration of this site, and I hate self-appointed "forum cops," but I want to keep DonationCoder.com focused on its own stated mission and goals, and not get sidetracked by topics like religion and politics, which are infamous for their divisiveness.

And if you can't resist those intellectual urges, consider taking it to your own blog, where you can engage others in a straightforward political conversation (even if humorous), rather than be caught offguard here. I can see the new visitor to DCC saying, "Hey, I thought this was a software and programming site!" Blogger.com offers easy, free blogs to anyone to write anything, and folks like myself and even guys representing the other end of the spectrum like BimmerGeek have fun writing about an eclectic mix of topics with everything on the table. Then come back and share your blog link, and if we like it, we'll have the opportunity to be regulars.

Again, I don't speak for DCC, just myself, but you are two of the sharpest contributors on the site with great suggestions, often making me say, "I wish I had thought of that!" So I hope you'll respect my [heartfelt, sincere] request.

Thanks.  ;)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 03:26 AM »
Sorry for any offence - no political intentions at all in posting that link, just trying to add a little humour.

I have absolutley no intention of getting into any political arguments on these forums. As you say that is not what they are for.

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 03:34 AM »
I didn't take any offence at CarolHaynes link, maybe because i didn't click on it.  But I do agree that it would be better if political discussion is avoided on this forum.

Jeff

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 07:28 AM »
Mind you, I don't find politics offensive, not even religion, much less Carol's post. I've seen other forums go off-topic and a handful of people get offended, start trolling, then someone gets banned, and before you know it, the forum is burned by people not wanting to take sides on a fight no one intended, yada yada. Ed Bott has a post up this morning on how he unsubscribed from a popular tech forum because its administrator was kicking off anyone who disagreed with his views. Law of unintended consequences? Who knows.