ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software for planning wood bookcases/cabinets/tables etc?

<< < (10/77) > >>

mouser:
Farmsteadter and my dad think alike!
They both think wood glue is the best thing since slices bread, and both came up with idea of using "dummy" books as supports.  Must be old school true woodwork lovers.

Carol Haynes:
Hmm ... now could I use DVD cases filled with cement for my DVD shelving project?

app103:
Personally I don't like wood glue. It's too runny and it has a very weak bond.

I prefer something called Velverette, but as far as I know, they don't make it any more and I have not found a suitable replacement for it yet.

Good thing I still have a few jars of it.  :D

I discovered it when I was going to school for floral design. (it was marketed as a floral adhesive...alternative to hot glue)

I use it anywhere that crazy glue, 10 ton epoxy, or duct tape is unsuitable or won't work.

It's very thick (thicker than the typical tacky glue),very tacky, dries clear, and has a slow enough drying time to allow you to adjust things properly.

It comes in a jar. You have to dip a paint brush or wooden skewer in there to get it out. Cleaning up the excess is very easy with a damp paper towel.

I have used it to glue towel racks to ceramic tile in a location where humidity and moisture are a concern. (I may have to remove them some day, since I rent, and I can do this without damaging the tiles) The towel racks have held strong for about 10 years, so far.

I have used it to hold the wood & hinge together on a closet door after it split and the hinge & a piece of the wood fell off.

It holds screws into my walls.

It is holding my desk together in many places, including the little knobs that my keyboard tray rests on.

Software for planning wood bookcases/cabinets/tables etc?

Darwin:
app - that's just a tease if it's not available anymore! I'm always looking for good, strong glue (with a three year old and a five year old I have a never ending supply of broken things requiring repair) and Velverette sounds like just the thing  :(

Hmm... found this data sheet from what I believe is the manufacturer (looks like it started out as Solomon's Velverette and was acquired by Delta) - dated late January 2005. Velverette is no longer listed among their products, though, so I've written to them asking for its status.

mouser:
this seems to be what many consider the best current glue:
http://www.gorillaglue.com/home.htm

I can vouch that it is very strong.  It swells up as it dries -- which is important to know -- that means it's quite good at fixing loose joints, but it means that if you were using it to glue 2 objects flat against each other you better use clamps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version