ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software for planning wood bookcases/cabinets/tables etc?

<< < (9/77) > >>

mouser:
that's a great page that app found, i wish i had known about it earlier.
actually i am using metal shelf brackets:
[ Invalid Attachment ]

i'll see how they hold up under heavy loads and if necessary i am prepared to add side supports to help support.

CodeTRUCKER:
I am a very strong proponent of wood glue, but not just any kind.  As time goes on technology will probably replace the old favs, but when I have something that works I do not change it. 

In regard to the weight-vs-span conundrum, have you considered using dummy books aligned as supports?  These would be would supports painted as fake volumes of some classics that you might never put on your shelf.  Done right, the "book" supports would fit right in with the rest of your tomes.

Darwin:
Farmsteader - I think that you are as sharp as a tack and I like your idea!

app103:
I like the idea too...but I think the 'books' need to be more personal.

my suggestions:

* Donationware for Dummies

* Mouser's guide to running an IRC mental hospital

* Coin Collecting for Birds - by Cody
Software for planning wood bookcases/cabinets/tables etc?

lanux128:
Down at the bottom of the page, in Step #3:  http://www.acehardware.com/sm-building-shelves--bg-1285343.html-app103 (May 21, 2007, 04:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

good find, app! :Thmbsup: in the same page..

• Wider cleats, as shown in this image, provide a great deal of structural strength. They also make it possible for the shelves to be moved in and out as necessary.
• If you are designing shelves to carry extremely heavy loads, use wide cleats and nail them firmly into position.

just like mouser, i also had gone for metal brackets.. :( hopefully my bookshelf will stand the weight..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version