ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software for planning wood bookcases/cabinets/tables etc?

<< < (8/77) > >>

Stephen47:
I am afraid those shelves will sag under the weight of books. I have been doing woodworking for 37 years now and my experience tells me that a span of greater than 30" will sag especially if you put books on them

mouser:
stephen -- welcome to the site, nice to have another woodworker here.  soon we will have enough to have some good furniture building discussions :)

see the above discussions to see that it was always known the spans were much too long to go without support/sagging.  it was always intended that i would put middle supports of some form.. just have to decide exactly what i want those supports to look like.

Carol Haynes:
Mouser you didn't answer my question above:

Question - how are the adjustable shelves fitted (I can see the holes down the sides but how are you seating the shelves so that you can move them?
--- End quote ---

Just curious because I am trying to figure this one out for my own project.

app103:
Down at the bottom of the page, in Step #3:  http://www.acehardware.com/sm-building-shelves--bg-1285343.html

If this is what you are doing with the adjustable shelves, according to that page, the type used in images 1 & 2 are only suitable for light loads. Books are not light.

Carol Haynes:
That's the problem -  a bit of dowling or a small bracket isn't going to take a lot of weight.

The other methods either require buying metal strip type kit (in which case it is probably going to be cheaper to buy self assembly units that come complete) or hours of tedious work routing super accurate slots or grooves.

None of this really appeals and is what has put me off for months getting started!

Thanks for the link though - that is a useful site.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version