ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software for planning wood bookcases/cabinets/tables etc?

<< < (56/77) > >>

Ath:
Great job :Thmbsup:

mouser:
Speaking of leg position.. Today with my empty cabinet, in order to air it out more, I opened all the drawers fully and the doors...

You can guess what almost happened -- I just caught it in  time as it was about to tip over onto me (!)  :tellme:

I'm not sure having the legs fully forward would have prevented the problem, but it certainly would have helped.  So I may move the legs forward.  Or just remember to load the cabinet up more and not pull out all the drawers at once.

KynloStephen66515:
Speaking of leg position.. Today with my empty cabinet, in order to air it out more, I opened all the drawers fully and the doors...

You can guess what almost happened -- I just caught it in  time as it was about to tip over onto me (!)  :tellme:

I'm not sure having the legs fully forward would have prevented the problem, but it certainly would have helped.  So I may move the legs forward.  Or just remember to load the cabinet up more and not pull out all the drawers at once.

-mouser (July 28, 2018, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do you have CCTV?  I need videos of you having a panic attack when it happened...for....reasons :')

IainB:
You can guess what almost happened -- I just caught it in  time as it was about to tip over onto me (!) 
-mouser (July 28, 2018, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
I wondered about that! From the photo it looked as though it could be unstable - the oblong box looked to have too narrow a base to be stable. When I looked at the photo, I initially (mistakenly) thought that you must have had the back of the cabinet screwed to the wall, then I read that the front legs had been recessed and wondered how that was working out. Generally speaking, for stability, narrow cabinets need to have the feet extend outwards, to widen the base of the footprint in the direction of potential fall. Of course, then, people may trip over the extended feet...
Probably simplest to screw the back of the thing into the timber wall studs behind the plaster.
As a standard safety precaution we usually do that anyway with anything in the house which has a narrow footprint (e.g., bookcases), so's they don't fall over too easily in an earth tremor (fairly common in NZ) and squash someone's foot or maim a passing toddler in the process.

mouser:
Truthfully there are virtually no dressers that will not tip over and crush you if you open all of their drawers full of stuff.
You can imagine people with young kids have to worry about such things.
There are special gadgets you can get to hold your furniture to the wall in such cases, and I have a big long office cabinet I bought that has a special mechanism that prevents you from opening both the upper and lower drawers at the same time, just to reduce risk of it tipping over.

Having said that, now that I see that the feet look nice, I will probably move the feet as closer to the front and outside the next chance I get, as I think they look nice, and would make the cabinet somewhat more stable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version