ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software for planning wood bookcases/cabinets/tables etc?

<< < (44/77) > >>

mouser:
Yeah, I can't say I wish I didn't stain it something light and golden and closer to original wood color... But I hope it will look less dark when it is filled with stuff, and that I will like it better over time.

tomos:
I like the red-brown FWIW. Piece looks great :up:
But yeah, maybe a similar colour to the darker squares in the floor would be nice too.

mouser:
I'm about to get started on a similar structured but more elaborate piece -- an 8ft buffet (sideboard, credenza, etc.) with doors and drawers.
I found a realllllly nice warm golden aniline dye stain that I can't wait to try.. I'm also going to try using proper furniture feet for the first time..

Anyone have any thoughts among these potential designs?

This buffet will be 8ft (96 inches) long, only 14 inches deep, and about 32 inches tall.  It will be in the hallway, visible as soon as you enter the house.
Among other things, the idea is for it to hold daily use SHOES, but I'm not sure what else.  It's been suggested to me that daily shoes should be stored in open space not behind doors, in order to get good ventilation.

And some foot designs I am considering:

cranioscopical:
I found a realllllly nice warm golden aniline dye stain that I can't wait to try-mouser (July 10, 2018, 04:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
So you're dyeing to start?

Design would be dictated by items to be stored.

It's been suggested to me that daily shoes should be stored in open space not behind doors, in order to get good ventilation.
--- End quote ---
Either ventilate that section from below or give the top a slight overhang at the back and ventilate that section at the back.

And some foot designs I am considering:
--- End quote ---
FWIW, I'd prefer a matched kickplate, maybe .5" inset, taking the whole piece down to the floor on 3 sides. In which case feet would be concealed and can be simple blocks. I like the look and there'd be no dust bunnies.

mouser:
Either ventilate that section from below or give the top a slight overhang at the back and ventilate that section at the back.
--- End quote ---
yeah it would be easy to ventilate the back.

FWIW, I'd prefer a matched kickplate, maybe .5" inset, taking the whole piece down to the floor on 3 sides
--- End quote ---

i did that for my living room media cabinet, and it looks nice and i am generally a fan of the built-in look, but one thing about having legs and raising the cabinet off the ground though is it does make it feel a bit less heavy and imposing, and since this is sitting inside a hallway i dont want it to feel too imposing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version