ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software for planning wood bookcases/cabinets/tables etc?

<< < (41/77) > >>

Target:
ran across this today and it harks back to the OP.  It might not do everything you were asking for but it's worth a bookmark

http://www.allwinedesigns.com/blog/standing-work-bench

KynloStephen66515:
Hammock update: It's holding up great and I love it.

I am now seriously considering building my second piece of "fine" furniture, a large chest of drawers/armoire.  I'm afraid it will take me too long to do, cost too much, and that I will struggle getting the drawers to fit again.  My rationale brain tells me to buy a second hand one and save lots of money and energy and time.  But the part of my brain that is rogue is telling me that if I don't build it myself I will regret the lost opportunity/excuse to do so :(
-mouser (December 12, 2016, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why not find a second hand one that it maybe old and tired, and make it pretty again? You can still utilize woodworking skills but without such a heavy cost/time burden!

ayryq:
I'm afraid it will take me too long to do, cost too much, and that I will struggle getting the drawers to fit again.
--- End quote ---
It will almost definitely be all of those things. Is woodworking a hobby that brings you enjoyment, or just a means to an end? For me, it usually comes down to when I need the furniture in question. I just bought a pair of bunk beds for my sons that I definitely could have made myself. But I had them "done" in one weekend by buying them, instead of a month (or two) and in this case that was more important. I would disregard cost, by the way. The one you build will almost certainly be better materials and construction than the one you buy. If you want to compare cost, price some furniture made in Amish country—it'll make you feel better about the cost of birch plywood :)

I am now seriously considering building my second piece of "fine" furniture, a large chest of drawers/armoire.
--- End quote ---
Remember you will always regret it if you do not build secret compartments.

mouser:
Hammock update:

Of all the improvements I've made to my place, the hammock install has been the best.  It is a napping machine.  Love it.

mouser:
Latest project, a small 7x5 inch dice tray with cork bottom:

Considerably easier to build than an 8ft cabinet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version