ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software for planning wood bookcases/cabinets/tables etc?

<< < (36/77) > >>

tomos:
Looks great mouser :up:

Note 1: The cabinet has not yet been "finished" -- i just wanted to see what it would look like -- i have to remove everything and put many coats of polyeurethane on to give it some sheen and protect the wood.
-mouser (June 24, 2015, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Pity it needs the polyeurethane - I love the matt finish.

Deozaan:
Thanks for sharing the photos, mouser. I really like it. Makes me want to build something. :o

mouser:
Finishing has begun.. I'm using standard brush-on polyeurethane on the insides, and a thin wipe-on poly (General Finishes Arm-R-Seal) for the top and face frame.  I decided to go with the wipe-on poly for the top and face frame because i wasn't confident in my abilities to brush on a smooth coat. Given how slowly it's going on and how expensive it is, i'm having second thoughts, but i'm committed.

Will take me a few more days to put on all the coats, and then a week to dry.  I'll take more photos when it's done.

It's even more dark looking now -- I've resigned myself to it.  It's not out of place in my living room, where i have a dark wood coffee table, it just still seems like a waste since you can barely see the wood grain..

I'm thinking to go with "satin" as the final coat.  Any finishers have preferences for gloss vs semi vs satin?

ayryq:
Are you using gloss for the build-up coats? I would go with the glossier of the non-gloss options for the final coat—so as not to obscure the grain further. You can always add some paste wax or another coat of satin if it's too shiny, but it's hard to go back from too matte.

ayryq:
By the way here's some of my projects:
http://lumberjocks.com/ayryq/projects

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version