ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software for planning wood bookcases/cabinets/tables etc?

<< < (34/77) > >>

ayryq:
On another matter.. anyone here ever tried wood "dyes" as opposed to normal stains? holy cow i am a convert!
I've been testing tons of gel and standard stains trying to get the right look on this birch+maple, and the blotching was noticable.  Tried a wood dye and wow! the clarity and evenness is remarkable.  :up:
-mouser (June 17, 2015, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Where did you get them; what brand?

mouser:
"dye" stains cannot be found in normal hardware stores -- which have tons of gel and standard stains -- you have to mail order them or find them in a special woodworking store, which i stumbled accross locally.  I heard experts recommend them for blotchy wood like maple and birtch but i was unconvinced until i actually tried one myself, and i'll be damned if the dye didn't completely eliminate the blotching problem and look remarkably better.

There are videos on youtube, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Ysfw0LmMw

mouser:
the only thing left for me to decide is if i'm going to try to brush on a finish or buy a sprayer..

ayryq:
I'd go for an old T-shirt myself. But maybe that "dye" you use is pickier.

Deozaan:
More photos, please!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version