ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software for planning wood bookcases/cabinets/tables etc?

<< < (6/77) > >>

Darwin:
Thanks for posting that mouser! I'm looking at tackling a similar project myself and your notes will come in very handy.

mouser:
Here's the book i recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Built-Ins-Shelves-Bookcases-Projects/dp/0696221152

Complete Built-Ins, Shelves & Bookcases (Stanley Complete Projects Made Easy) (Paperback)
by Stanley (Author)
Price:    $13.57 (40 used & new available from $8.65)

mouser:
believe it or not, i'm *STILL* not done!!!
but i am damn close.  updated picture:

corner closeups:

you can see now the 1x2 trim over everything but removable shelves, which will also get the trim treatment soon.

im still planning on painting everything white, though i do like the dual-tone look so i'm tempted to paint them darker than the bookcase.  thoughts?

Darwin:
Love it - please come build some for me when you're done! Anyway, I love the look - I'd varithane the trim so that you'd have natural pine colour trim and the rest in a creamy white... Just my two-bits.

CodeTRUCKER:
I think you already know I am a natural wood proponent. :P

All kidding aside, the key to making the two-tone look work is make sure you get an exact match with the parquet or an equally exact contrast from the flooring.  This "contrast" would work very if the trim match, say the wood trim on your sofa (assuming you have that). 

The main point is that the key to contrast is exact matching or exact strongly defined differences.  Just being a shade or two off can be very disappointing.  Fortunately, natural wood is very forgiving. (shameless plug  :P)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version