ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software for planning wood bookcases/cabinets/tables etc?

<< < (31/77) > >>

mouser:
I figure "in for a penny, in for a pound" -- so i'm going to try to fit flush inset drawers, which are hard to get right (as compared to overlay/overlap drawers where you have lots of margin of error because the fronts hide the gaps.  However, I am going to use this "false front" technique which should meant that the actual drawers themselves have plenty of margin for error, and then i just have to precisely cut and mount the drawer fronts -- which is still a bit tough since i don't have a table saw.  Looking back i can see this would have been the right project to invest in one of those little portable worksite tablesaws -- would have made cutting the long 18" wide plywood pieces a lot easier (instead i build a little jig/track).

ayryq:
You still have to get the projection perfect - although the slotted screw holes in drawer slides will help.

I bought a Bosch jobsite saw when I was making some built-ins in our last house (picture), and I think I've used it on every project small or large since. It's got a nifty folding stand so I can push it out of the way of the cars in the winter, and while I'd dearly love a bigger/better table saw, it's basically big enough for everything I do, and a bigger one wouldn't be as easy to store. Now they've got the same saw with a Sawstop-type brake (for more $$$).

mouser:
That's beautiful work -- i LOVE built-ins. Yeah i really should have bought one of those portable table saws, and i missed my perfect excuse :(..

Well I suppose i'll find out soon enough about the drawers :)

mouser:
photos of drawers:

What you are seeing in the first photo is the actual drawers, built from 1/2 cheapo plywood.

The second photo shows the false front approach, with the tight-fitting nicer veneered fronts (still plywood, though one could use real wood) just set in front of the drawer area -- not yet precisely positioned and attached.

Unfortunately i ran out of the nicer veneered plywood sheets so the bottom two drawer false fronts have a bit more pattern than i would like -- i havent decided yet whether to go buy some more plywood, or assemble it as is.

mouser:
Also, one unfortunate thing you can't see is that i seem to have miss aligned the top face frame rail above the drawers, and it tilts upward to the right about an 1/8th of an inch.
It's not noticable without the drawers but when the drawer fronts are in, it's noticable because the gap between top drawer left and right hand sides are different.  That's why in the photo above i'm actually using tape to raise the right hand side of the top drawer by about that much..
There are a few options for fixing it:

* 1. carefully adjust the vertical gaps for the drawers so that the fronts angle slightly up and to the right the tiniest amount so that by the time it gets to the top the gap is gone.
* 2. try to carefully sand the front face top rail so that the left hand side height matches right hand side (sand under left hand bottom and right hand top).  this would be my preferred solution IF i believed i could get it sanded evenly -- unfortunately most of my experience with such sanding attempts has resulted in wavy looking edges -- it's hard to sand evenly!  The result could be much worse with no easy undo.
* 3. try to remove that top rail piece of the face frame and reattach a new one -- could be a disaster because its glued in place.
Thoughts?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version