ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Little Setup Builder Reviewed

(1/3) > >>

dhuser:
Basic Info

App NameLittle Setup BuilderApp URLhttp://www.ammasw.com/LSB_Intro.htmlApp Version Reviewed1.5Test System SpecsSpecs of the test system here done in a quote blockSupported OSesAll Versions of MS WindowsSupport MethodsE-Mail (see bottom of page for E-Mail Link)Pricing SchemeFreeware $0.00Reviewer Donation LinkDonate to dhuser, the Review AuthorRelationship btwn. Reviewer and Product None

Intro:

Little Setup Builder (hereon LSB) is a free program to create installers for software and any other computer product. It features:
* Multi-Language Installers
* Easy Customization of Text/Images/Features
* The Ability To Create a Complex Installer, in a easy-to-use interface
* Choose Groups and Categories for Files
* Create Shortcuts
* Ability to Customize Different Installer Types (Regular/Minimum/Custom/Etc...)
* Add to Add/Remove Programs
* Checks for Overwrites and Updates (Previous Versions of Your Product) before Installing
* Check Windows Version
From LSB Site, Listing Features:
- Windows' version check.
- A new 'Conditions' property allows further installation filters.
- The files can be installed after reboot if in use by Windows.
- Two pages have been added to the installer form.
- A new 'Wait' property lets you specify when the setup must wait for an execution end.
- A new list of temporary files allows temporary installations and presentations.
- You can now specify the character set to use with any language.
- The IDE of LSB has its own character set definition.
- The text import routines have new options for partial loadings.
- The variables are now grouped on the basis of their scope.
- A new 'Custom variables' window lets you define your own variables.
- The variable delimiters can be changed.
- A 'Notes' window lets you save your comments about.
- A new 'Info-window' lets you inspect the setup state while it is running.
- The output program can now be uncompressed.
- The wizard form has a 'stay on top' option.
- Added a 'private shared' uninstallation list.
- The 'Full rollback' options allows the restoring of all the replaced file.
- Added new dialogs to the installer for handling installation errors.
- A new dialog is available for asking the user about installation confirm.
- Added new dialogs to the uninstaller for handling removal errors.

SCREENSHOT OF APP INTERFACE HERE

Who is this app designed for:
- Software Developers
- New Users Wanting to Distrubite Their Products.

The Good
- Good program, easy to use
- Many Features
- Different Languages
- Installer Project Samples Given w/ Program

The needs improvement section
- I found that when I inserted an image into the installer (on the left side), I could not remove it from the dialog box.

Why I think you should use this product
LSB is one of the best installer tools I have found... Used it many times to package software

How does it compare to similar apps
It contains most of the features any software develper would want from a product.Generates EXE files.

Conclusions
LSB is a great tool, and along with other products, it works well.

Links to other reviews of this application
http://www.download.com/Little-Setup-Builder/3640-2216_4-8585810.html?tag=tab_ur

dhuser

mouser:
Looks interesting.. I've been using Inno Setup (also free) for a while, but LSB looks nice too.

clif_notes:
Nice review!

I used the ClickTeam Install Creator the last time I needed one. This looks much better.

Thanks for the great review.
Can I post it at my website? Full credit to the author and DonationCoder as well.

Clif
http://freewarewiki.com

mouser:
Cliff, glad to see you are noticing all the great new minireviews people have been writing.

Just in case people haven't see the previous discussion of the idea of excerpting our mini-reviews on other sites, I'll just mention that in my view it's fine as long as credit is given to the author and a link pointed back to the original review with text something to the effect of "read the full review at DonationCoder.com" or something like that.

Cliff's site and newsletter are wonderful so I'm all for it.  And I really appreciate that Cliff always asks the author's permission, just to make sure - very much appreciated  :up:

dhuser:
You may use my review on your site, provided that a link is added to this page at Donation Coder.

dhuser

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version