ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ripoff Britain strikes again ... this time with Vista Pricing

(1/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I am not upgrading to Vista but I was curious to compare prices on both sides of the pond ... list prices according to Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com are:

US: Vista Ultimate Ed ... $379.99

UK: Vista Ultimate Ed ... £369.99

At today's exchange rate that means that UK Vista costs $728 US .... so it is probably just about cheaper to hop on Virgin Atlantic and buy it in New York !

If I hop over to Germany the list price is 519.99 Eur (which is £314 UK / $677 US but I would have to learn German).

In Canada it is $499 CAN (equivalent to $423 US or £215 UK)

Apparently in Australia it is $751 AUD (equivalent to $580 US / £295 UK)

How do list prices (not the actual prices you pay) compare in other countries ?

Can anyone beat the UK price ?

Gothi[c]:
329,00 € in Belgium appearantly. Swim the channel?

nudone:
does that mean we could get a friend in canada to buy it and then ship it over without having to pay extra duty when it got here?

like Carol, i'm not going to use Vista, i'm just curious as to what would happen - you could even buy it in canada and flog it on and make a profit in the UK. it can't be that simple, i'm sure.

jgpaiva:
does that mean we could get a friend in canada to buy it and then ship it over without having to pay extra duty when it got here?

like Carol, i'm not going to use Vista, i'm just curious as to what would happen - you could even buy it in canada and flog it on and make a profit in the UK. it can't be that simple, i'm sure.
-nudone (February 02, 2007, 01:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nope. That'd be illegal. It could work, as long as the border control didn't suspect about it. If they opened the packages to see what's inside, they'd make you pay good money for border taxes. (way more than you'd pay for vista in the UK).
This also happens when you travel. If you go to the states and buy yourself a new camera, for example, you shouldn't bring its package with you, or you'd risk paying way more than you'd pay for it in the UK. (of course this would only happen if they asked you to stop at custums in the airport).

Here in portugal, apparently you can find "MICROSOFT WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE 32-BIT ENG OEM" for 191€. But i belive that "OEM" means it can only be sold with a new computer.
The non-oem version goes for 355€.
What a rip-off!

f0dder:
I can't find OEM versions of Vista, and I think I heard something about Microsoft not wanting to allow this anyway (can't find any references though, so I might be wrong). Anyway, Vista price at www.shg.dk: Windows Vista Ultimate, 32/64 Bit, Retail: DKK3.899/GBP345.87. That's pretty insane.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version