ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SuperboyAC's DC blog #2 (Live Search feature in software)

<< < (13/15) > >>

zridling:
Fantastic, superboy!

superboyac:
Well, I guess 2 years ago it looked like the standalone version of Evernote was going away. It is still alive and kicking as far as I can tell, in fact there was an update this month.
-daddydave (June 16, 2010, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Really!  I had no idea.  I have to give it a try.  Awesome, thanks.

thanks, z.

rjbull:
rjbull, way to resurrect an old thread!-superboyac (June 16, 2010, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

:)  I read another thread where you mentioned live search, and thought it was worth mentioning NoteFrog for completeness here.

Notefrog looks impressive.  I am very interested in it and I'm going to give it a shot. Even though I use infoqube and onenote, there's always room for another light, quick notetaker.  Actually, now that evernote standalone is gone, this may have to be my replacement.  Nice find!

--- End quote ---

I don't see it as anywhere near as powerful - or large - as EverNote, but as you observe, for light-duty operations it looks potentially good.  It can be portable too, but they don't (or didn't) have a ready-made portable version, you have to copy the files over yourself.  As far as I'm concerned, the lack of import is serious, but it's still a young project.  For light note-taking I currently use Horst Schaeffer's MemPad, which is an excellent, free, portable tree-style program, but is essentially plain text and doesn't have live search.  I think it uses a built-in Windows component to do its Ctrl-F search, too, and that's very slow on largish files on Vista Home Premium.

rjbull:
Well, I guess 2 years ago it looked like the standalone version of Evernote was going away. It is still alive and kicking as far as I can tell, in fact there was an update this month.
--- End quote ---
Really!  I had no idea.  I have to give it a try.  Awesome, thanks.
-superboyac (June 16, 2010, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Please will you report if you do try it?  I too thought that EverNote standalone (assuming that means the version that saves its files locally, not on their server) was dead.  I'd be interested to know if they updated the Firefox extension, too.

superboyac:
--- End quote ---
Really!  I had no idea.  I have to give it a try.  Awesome, thanks.
-superboyac (June 16, 2010, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Please will you report if you do try it?  I too thought that EverNote standalone (assuming that means the version that saves its files locally, not on their server) was dead.  I'd be interested to know if they updated the Firefox extension, too.
-rjbull (June 17, 2010, 02:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
you know, i went back to the website...I didn't see anything about the standalone version.  I think there's a misunderstanding somewhere.  it's still a web only product.  It has a frontend that you can use on your PC, but it's still a web only product.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but I haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise.  And I didn't see any update to the old 2.2 version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version