PersonalBrain 5 8/10Nice! I'm actually really curious about how you use the Brain for practical applications. I tried it a long time ago, and I thought it was really cool. But I didn't have a practical application for it.
I know this is off topic for this thread, but this thread is so old anyway, I don't think it matters.
I'm glad you liked the addition. Actually, I had to go through the whole thread and search to make sure it wasn't already included. I was quite surprised when I could not find it!
The reality is I just reinstalled it yesterday (how's that for timing!), but I still had my db from the first time I tried. I was originally scared away by the price after the trial, but the improvements I've seen in the v.6 beta since then have certainly increased the potential ROI.
Since I am using it again I decided I would use it for everything. The many-to-many architecture and the instantaneous location of whatever I am looking for has really eliminated many of the confines of structure. It truly is as fluid and the human brain, just not as fast. I have found nothing like it yet!
Even having said all that, I know you well enough to know you need more.
So here goes...
- Contact List - I include all details in the "Notes" plus any details about the contact. The beautiful thing here is I do not have to have the focus on the contact. If I have a project in focus, I only have to hover over the contact's name and it will show the Notes/Contact Info. This works for any node. Hover over any visible node and the details, if any, will be displayed in the window.
- Notes - Create a node, enter any data if it is long, give it a subject and include the rest in the Notes. Some formatting options are available.
- Calendar - Nothing special, but any node can be made a scheduled item by creating an appointment.
- Start, Finish and All Day, Date-Time entry (30-min increments in the drop-downs)
- Reminders are available as [1-9999999] (no kidding) of Minutes, Hours, Days, Weeks.
- Recurrence is available in [1-30] Days, Weeks, Months and Years. That's right you can set a recurrence date for the year 10,002,009 CE. You'll want to make sure you will be free for that one!
- ToDo List - Since this is free form, it is very easy and customizable and can be dated via the above bullet.
- Database - Well that is what this is at heart. Any file can be associated with one or more nodes. Either by reference or by copying to internal db.
- Reports - These can be created via selecting criteria, but I have never used it (yet), but I might try later tonight.
- I am using PB to work out ideas for a fiction epic akin to "Dune." (Hey! I can dream, can't I?) It is very easy to link characters, plots, subplots, locations and objects in the story. The free-form ability to link anything to everything related is a breeze and becomes almost transparent to the actual writing. Lots of fun!"
- Business - I own an OTR truck (see avatar) that two of my sons drive. I keep records about...
- Items that need to be addressed when they bring it back to the barn. I hate sending them back out and notice we forgot to fix the ground-fault in the left tail light.
- I am always experimenting with efficiency so I keep ideas for them to try as situations allow. I keep records of success/failure of each. FYI - this has proven quite successful.
- Records of unusual circumstances at shippers/receivers to cover our back if brought into question later.
- Instantaneous recall of information when someone calls about anything gives the appearance I've got it all together.
- Lyrics and Poetry Structure - I use PersonalBrain to experiment with lyrics for songs (see below) and poetry in a graphical structure. FLASH! An idea creeps in, make a quick node and go on.
- Song Writing and Composing - Similar to the above, PB is great at creating/experimenting/testing musical ideas that I can test out in Finale and/or Sibelius. I am not an expert in either music programs, but the ability to hash out ideas in a graphical structure is symbiotic.
- Doodling - Sometimes I like to just add random thoughts. This always provokes some item related to my doodle and I can instantly create the link. The freedom to enter random thoughts is very liberating and really gets the creative juices flowing.
Superboyac, I hope that will give you a start. It was no trouble to do that for you. You have given so much to myself and others. If you have any specific questions, feel free to reply here or PM if you desire.