ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

backup question - how much of a risk is fire?

<< < (5/5)

f0dder:
Freezer trick for harddrives is "the last blast" - at least you should consider it that way. Condensation water etc...

app103:
For things that don't change often (or ever) like photos, burning a few copies of them and storing them far away from home should be sufficient.

For small files that change frequently, like projects, I zip them and email them to myself from my gmail account to my aol account.

Gmail stores a copy of everything you send, with the attachment, so you can access and download it from there if you should need to.

AOL allows me unlimited storage for email and attachments, so if gmail screws up my account or something, I can always go get it from my aol account if I need it.

This is in addition to having the projects backed up on 2 hard drives on this pc, and 2 on another.

Yeah, maybe it's overkill, but I have had problems in the past with not being able to access a copy of a website of mine to make changes to it for a few years. (pc died and I couldn't get the hd to work with other pc and free hosts don't usually let you download a full copy by FTP) I ended up having to re-write the entire site from scratch. I will never go through that again.

I have also demanded a certain friend of mine to email me a copy of a project when she does some work on it...she has a reputation for losing data and I really care about this project of hers. (she is writing a book) I have archived on my hard drive and in gmail a copy of every revision she has made to it...just in case.

And it is a good thing I made her do this because she had a hard drive die on her and she would have lost 3 years of work since the only backups she had were the copies she was sending me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version