ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

backup question - how much of a risk is fire?

<< < (4/5) > >>

brotherS:
how about keeping the 3rd copy in the car (or other vehicle if you own one). then if there is a disaster you can speed off into the sunset.

probably a good idea to encrypt the data first like f0dder says - just in case someone takes your car.
-nudone (February 01, 2007, 03:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
I wouldn't do that, the risk of someone breaking in is too big IMHO. Also, the constant vibrations might be good for your HD long-term, even if the head is parked. Not 100% sure, just a wild guess...

Crush:
@nudone
Deep and high temperatures are no problem for CDs & DVDs. The refridgerator can even be used to make defect CDs readable again: Make them clean in a dishwasher and insert them in the freezer. After several hours the water crystals have become ice. Don´t heastitate to nsert the unreadable CD in the drive and perhaps the defect tracks can be read again.

tomos:
shed but i'm still concerned about the freezing temperatures outside.-nudone
--- End quote ---

there was some thread here (I think) lately about getting stuff off failing HDDs & a few people were talking about putting drive in the freezer or even between 2 blocks of ice ...

dont know was that just for a last blast or would it be harmful over time.

But I have a much cheaper Idea  :D:

Buy a big rain-collector-bin, dig a hole in your garden, pack the copies in ....-Crush (January 31, 2007, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D
 unfortunately the only yard here is covered in concrete  :D

nudone:
ah yes, i remember the freezing a broken hard drive thread.

i don't think i'd try freezing a cd to get it working again - well, i guess, not until i really need to.

i think i'll go with the shed idea.

Crush:
As I said: It´s definately working - I tried both (dishwasher with high temperature & freezer with very low) at home without any problems (several years ago). A lot of magazines showed up with articles about the freezer-trick here in the last couple of months.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version