ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

backup question - how much of a risk is fire?

<< < (3/5) > >>

superboyac:
I've thought about this for a while, and here's my solution:

The cheapest, and easiest solution for a normal person like me is to buy two large hard drives.  Back up the same data on each one.  On the first one, back it up pretty frequently (daily or weekly), and the second one a little less frequently (monthly or so).  Keep the second one at your parents' house or someone else you see a lot.  What are the chances of all 3 sources going down simultaneously?  Almost 0%.  (by the way, in case you're wondering why I said 3 sources it's because of the original source, the first backup, and the second backup).

nudone:
hehe, that's what i do already - except for taking the 3rd hard drive elsewhere. maybe i should just keep it in the shed but i'm still concerned about the freezing temperatures outside.

f0dder:
reko100: confidentiality isn't much of an issue if you encrypt the stuff - bandwidth is a much higher concern.

Doing 2x backups and placing 2nd copy elsewhere is a good idea, but... it's sooooo troublesome if it's to be worth anything (ie., 2nd copy shouldn't be too close geographically).

nudone:
how about keeping the 3rd copy in the car (or other vehicle if you own one). then if there is a disaster you can speed off into the sunset.

probably a good idea to encrypt the data first like f0dder says - just in case someone takes your car.

brotherS:
But I have a much cheaper Idea  :D:

Buy a big rain-collector-bin, dig a hole in your garden, ...
-Crush (January 31, 2007, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
;D

Crush, i kind of like your idea. i'm just wondering if freezing temperatures would have any detrimental effect on the things inside the bin. i'm sure one or two frosty cold mornings wouldn't be too bad but would it be okay to leave things down there for a winter?

i have no idea what ground temperatures are like below the surface and whether cd/dvds and hard drives would care if they were out in the cold.
-nudone (January 31, 2007, 04:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
You could just dig a few meters deep and put some isolation on top, the earth won't freeze down there.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version